Best 8 Home Remedies of using Honey for Chapped Lips – Top 8 Methods
Experts recommend using honey for chapped lips, as the skin on our lips is much thinner as compared to the skin present on the rest of the body, so it is much more prone to dehydration and dryness. Dry and chapped lips don’t just look rough but are also sore and painful. The cracks on the lips may burn, sting and even bleed, mainly when you eat something spicy or sour.
The commercial lip balms are one of the most commonly employed solutions for dry and chapped lips, but their effectiveness is limited to a short period. Moreover, the phenols, menthol and salicylic acid in the balms may cause allergies on the skin later or make your lips drier. This is precisely why it is better to use natural ingredients, like honey, sugar, milk cream and many others, as they are long-lasting hydrating agents and amazing healers.
Benefits of applying honey for chapped lips
- Honey is the natural emollient and humectant, as it draws the moisture from the air to your dry lips and helps them to retain it, to prevent dryness.
- Being a rich source of Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B6, honey moisturizes the skin by nourishing them and stimulating new skin cells, which leads to softer lips.
- Honey possesses excellent anti-inflammatory properties and reduces the swelling of lips caused by infections or peelings.
- Thanks to the presence of Zinc and Vitamin B2, honey prevents the lips from getting damaged by free radicals.
- The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of honey stop the bacterial infections from spreading.
- Honey provides relief and comfort to the tropical symptoms of the chapped lips, i.e., peeling, bleeding and painful sores.
- Honey acts as an excellent exfoliator and removes damaged and dead skin cells from the dry lips surface, which leads to unclogging of pores. This is one of the leading benefits of applying honey on face overnight, so it can help you get a smoother and fresh skin.
Top 8 Methods of using honey for chapped lips
There are a lot of honey-based remedies out there, which you can use for your chapped lips. You can also use it as a combination of other ingredients to make a chemical-free balm or scrub to get relief from dry sore lips.
Honey for chapped lips
Honey, being a natural humectant, rejuvenates and hydrates the dry lips. It can also act as an anti-irritant to get rid of pain and soreness, associated with them.
- Take a small amount of fresh honey and apply a thin layer of it on your lips
- Leave the application as long as possible (it is better to leave honey on lips at night and let it stay there)
- In the morning, wash the honey off using lukewarm water
- Repeat the procedure of using honey for chapped lips for about two to three times every day
Glycerin and honey for chapped lips
The moisturizing properties of glycerin keep the chapped lips hydrated and fresh, from within. Moreover, it heals them and prevents their flaking, irritation, and bleeding.
- Take one TBSP of glycerin in a bowl
- Mix it with one TBSP of honey
- Apply this mixture to your lips
- Wash it off in the morning after leaving this mixture of glycerin and honey on lips overnight
- For best results, repeat every alternate day
Sugar and honey for chapped lips
Just like honey, sugar is an excellent exfoliator for the skin and can help in the removal of dead and dry skin cells from cracked lips, softens them. Moreover, it can also assist in achieving the smoother texture of lips.
- Take 2 TBSP sugar in a bowl
- Add 1 TBSP honey to it
- Mix well both of the ingredients
- Leave the mixture on your lips for about 5 to 8 minutes after applying it
- Now to loosen up the dry and dead skin cells, gently rub your lips with your fingers
- Use lukewarm water to wash off the application
- Repeat the process three times every week
For added benefits of using sugar and honey for chapped lips: You can also use brown or white sugar for this remedy. In case of extra-sensitive lips, brown sugar can work better with honey.
Petroleum Jelly and honey for chapped lips
Vaseline or petroleum jelly lock the moisture inside the skin and forms a protective layer over chapped lips. It can easily penetrate into the layers of skin and speeds up its renewal process.
- Using your fingers, apply a coat of honey on your chapped lips
- Let them air dry for a minute or two
- Also, apply a light layer petroleum jelly or Vaseline over it
- let it stay there for about five to ten minutes
- Dip a cotton ball in the lukewarm water and use it to wipe off the application
- Use this mixture twice a day
Lemon Juice and honey for chapped lips
Lemon juice acts as the bleaching agent for chapped, discolored lips and helps you in getting rid of the dry layer of skins cells from the surface of lips.
- Take a half TBSP lemon juice in a cup
- Add 1 TBSP honey in it and mix both the ingredients
- Gently massage with this mixture on your chapped lips for about two minutes
- Use fresh water to wash it off
- Repeat the procedure two times every week for better results
You can also add half TBSP of castor oil to this mixture for added benefits. As the castor oil is a rich source of fatty acids and triglycerides, it can assist in the restoration of the natural balance of moisture in case of dry skin or lips.
Rosewater and honey for chapped lips
Rosewater can quickly revitalize your dry, chapped lips by nourishing and hydrating them. It possesses excellent anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial properties, which enhance the soothing effect of honey on chapped lips and dryness of the skin.
- Thoroughly mix 1 TBSP of rosewater with a TBSP of honey in a bowl until you get a smooth mixture
- On your dry lips, apply this mixture with your fingers
- Let it stay there for about 14 to 15 minutes
- Wash the mixture off using lukewarm water
- Repeat this process every day, until you get your desired results
Cucumber and honey for chapped lips
Water, being a significant component of cucumber, makes it an extraordinary hydrating agent for dry skin and lips. It assists in relieving the soreness, inflammation and other painful symptoms associated with chapped lips.
- Take a fresh cucumber and place it in a refrigerator for a few hours to cool it down
- Take the cucumber out and cut four mm slices from it
- For about two minutes, dab those slices on your dry, chapped lips
- Let them stay on for about three minutes and remove them
- Now take a small amount of honey and spread a thin layer of it on your lips
- Leave it on for at least ten minutes
- Wash this layer off using cold and fresh water
- Repeat this procedure every second day
Rose Petals, Milk Cream, and honey for chapped lips
The excess fat content of milk cream hydrates and nourishes the thin skin of lips. The mashed rose petals, on the other hand, keep them moisturized and act as a lip softener.
- Take a handful of rose petal and wash them thoroughly under fresh, running water
- Mash the petals into a smooth paste form in a bowl after soaking them in milk for about three hours
- Add 1 TBSP milk cream along with a TBSP of honey in it
- Mix all of the ingredients, until you get a smooth paste-like mixture
- Evenly spread this mixture on your lips and keep it there for about 20 minutes
- Wash the mixture off using milk and then with fresh water
- Use this mixture every day
Safety Precautions and Tips of using honey for chapped lips
- Before proceeding with any of honey-based remedies for dry lips, make sure that you are not allergic to honey by making use of a patch test.
- Don’t give honey to infants, as it can act as a potential carrier for botulism infection in young kids, in rare cases.
- It is better to go for natural honey, rather than processed honey.
- Regularly exfoliate your chapped lips to get rid of damaged and dry skin cells using a toothbrush and warm water or the combination of sugar and honey on lips for pink lips.
- If you have a habit of excessive licking your lips, then you will have to quit it because the saliva from your mouth increases the dryness of your lips.
- Biting or peeling off the cracked lips can increase the chances of infection, bleeding and thus, your lips will need longer time to heal.
- Never use any cleanser or soap on your lips, immediately after wiping off an application.
- Include protein rich food in your regular diet. Also add Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin A based food like poultry, fish, carrots, tomatoes, mangoes, citrus fruits, and papayas.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated.
It is important to note that natural remedies can take longer than artificial products but are free form any side effects. All you have got to do is select any of these solutions implementing honey for chapped lips and stick with it until you get your desired results. Moreover, if you have any other remedy, that you think is useful, please do share with us.