7 Effective DIY Home Remedies of Honey for Acne and Oily Skin
More than 80% of the youngsters, particularly those between the age of 11 to 30, experience acne at least once in their life. More than half of these people use commercial medications to help them treat acne and pimples but prove to be doing worse than they were supposed to be doing well. This is, precisely, why experts recommend going with natural remedies like honey for acne, rather than medications.
According to a study at American Academy of Dermatology, when oil glands become over active, they produce excess oil. This oil when combines with bacteria, dirt and dead skin cells, leads to the clogging of pores and causes acne. Natural remedies provide a quite safer path compared to commercial creams or treatments. Except for some cases, honey does not cause any damage to the skin.
What makes honey effective in dealing with acne?
- Honey possesses excellent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It controls the acne bacteria by manipulating the follicular environment and reducing their chances of survival.
- Honey reduces the redness and swelling caused by acne. Its capabilities are so amazing that the studies proved it to work even in the chronic stages of inflammation.
- Honey produces hydrogen peroxide by absorbing water from the wounds and kills the acne causing bacteria. Hydrogen peroxide, itself, is a powerful antiseptic.
- Honey is a rich source of polyphenols. These polyphenols possess potent antioxidant properties and reduce the free radicals present in the body.
- Honey controls the production of oil by the body. Furthermore, it removes the excess oil present on the surface of the skin. It locks the moisture in the skin layers and keeps it supple and hydrated.
- TOP 7 Methods of using Honey for Acne
If you are looking for a way of how to use honey for acne scars, then look no further, as we have mentioned some of the most efficient methods below. There are a lot of different ways by which you can use honey for acne, i.e. you can use it as honey acne mask, or a scrub, even as a face pack. We. Just select a remedy, follow it and you will soon get rid of acne.
You can apply honey topically or consume it directly for treating your acne. We recommend using both methods as it can deal both the internal and external acne causing factors.
- For topical application of honey, apply a minute quantity of honey to a soft cotton ball
- Apply this ball to the affected areas of the skin
- Let it stay on for about 30 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water and then, with cold water
- Repeat the procedure every day
- In case of consumption, add 2 TBSP lemon juice with 1 TBSP honey in a glass of water
- Mix well and drink the mixture
Nutmeg powder and honey for acne and oily skin
The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of nutmeg powder enable it to treat the redness and swelling caused by acne. You can also leave honey on pimples overnight.
- Take equal amounts of nutmeg powder and honey
- Mix both the ingredients well
- Apply the mixture on pimples affected areas of the skin
- Let the mixture stay on for about one hour
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- Repeat this process every day
Strawberry and honey for acne and oily skin
- Wash your face using a mild cleanser
- Pat dry your face with a soft towel
- Take three strawberries and mash them with the help of a fork or a masher
- Mix these mashed strawberries with 2 TBSP honey
- Apply this mixture on the skin
- Keep it there for about 20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water
- Use any oil-free moisturizer
- For better results, use this remedy two times every week
Cinnamon and honey for acne and oily skin
The anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial capabilities of cinnamaldehyde, which is present in abundance in cinnamon, assist in the reduction of the symptoms of acne.
- Take 1 TBSP cinnamon powder
- Combine it with 2 TBSP honey
- Mix the ingredients well till you get a fine paste
- Use this mixture of cinnamon and honey for acne scars overnight (if possible, otherwise 15 to 20 minutes will do).
- Wash the mixture using a mild cleanser with cool water
- Apply a skin toner
- Repeat this procedure every day
Sugar and honey scrub for acne
Sugar works wonders in exfoliating the dead skin cells from the skin surface. It also removes the impurities and excess oil and unclogs the skin pores. Use brown sugar rather than white sugar as its particles are less harsh and quickly gets mixed with honey.
- Take 1 TBSP honey
- In it, mix 1 TBSP brown sugar
- Use this mixture as a scrub and gently massage for about 4 minutes in circular pattern
- Thoroughly wash your skin with cool water
- Pat dry your skin
- Keep repeating the process once in a day
Oatmeal and honey for acne
Oatmeal contains enormous quantities of saponins, which act as an amazing skin exfoliator and unclog the pores. It keeps the skin supple and hydrated, thanks to its remarkable hydrating properties.
- In a blender, add ¼ cup warm water along with 2 TBSP honey and half cup of oatmeal
- Continuously blend it until you get a consistent smooth mixture
- Apply this paste on the affected areas of your skin
- Massage for about 3 to 4 minutes gently
- Wash it off with lukewarm water after leaving it on for at least 10 minutes
- Repeat this procedure one time every day
Turmeric and honey for acne
Turmeric, being an excellent disinfectant, kills the acne causing bacteria, relieves you of the pain and inflammation. Studies also proved that it brings the production of oil, by the body, under control and cleanses the skin.
- Take 1 TBSP honey in a bowl
- To It, add 1/8 TBSP turmeric powder
- Mix both the ingredients and apply on the skin
- Wash your skin with lukewarm water after keeping it untouched for about 25 minutes
- Repeat this process every day to get rid of acne
Safety precautions and tips of using Honey for Acne to Get Rid of Acne Permanently
Never prick scratch, squeeze or rub your pimples, as it can leave scars and worsen the situation.
- Ensure that you aren’t allergic to honey or any of the ingredients used for the remedies mentioned above. For the purpose, use a patch test. If the test leads to redness, irritation, and rashes, then it is better to avoid these ingredients.
- Consuming honey in large quantities can result in anaphylactic shock and abdominal discomfort.
- If you have diabetes, then stay away from honey as its consumption causes increased sugar level of blood.
- If you are taking antibiotics like ibuprofen, weight loss medicines, warfarin, aspirin and heart supplementations, then you should consult your doctor being starting the usage of honey.
- Rhododendrons’ honey contains toxic minerals which usually lead to strong reactions with the body.
- In the case of weak immunity system, the consumption of honey must be avoided, as it increases the chances of fungal and bacterial infections.
- The use of greasy creams and cosmetics can cause the clogging of skin pores.
- Prevent the usage of harsh chemical based soaps as they take away the necessary moisture from the skin.
- Always scrub your skin gently otherwise you might damage the skin.
- Never forget to remove the makeup before you go to bed at night.
- Perform meditation and yoga to decrease the stress level and keep an eye on your diet.
Did this article prove to be useful for you? Which of the remedies mentioned above did you use? If you think that we forgot to mention a better solution regarding the use of honey for acne, then please do tell us. Also, don’t forget to share your suggestions and experiences with us.