How to Get Rid of Fleas in The House Forever – Best 4 Easy Ways
If you are looking for different methods of how to get rid of fleas in the house, then you are at right place. We know that dealing with insects and eliminating them from your yard and home is not an easy task, as they are tiny and agile. So, freeing your property, be it a house or a pet can be a time-consuming process, but isn’t much difficult to be panic.
Research proves that fleas usually prefer to cling to four-legged hosts, like cats, dogs, mice, etc., rather than humans. However, if your pet is under the attack of these pests, then it is highly likely that your furniture, house, and yard will be their next target. And by the time you realize, you will be surrounded by hundreds and thousands of fleas. But with proper steps, you can eliminate them and avoid a full-blown flea infestation from occurring.
Make sure that the fleas are in the house
Fleas like hanging around the pets, like dogs and cats, or any other pest. But sometimes, humans can also lead to a flea infestation. This happens when, while working in the yard, fleas jump onto you and make their way into your home with you like their free ride. And then, they multiply at an alarming rate, in a few days.
- Check your pets
So, the first place that you should look for these pests is your pet. For the checking purposes, you can part the hairs of your pet, and if fleas are present, then you might see tiny movements. These movements are, in fact, the result of the insects moving around and hiding. In some cases, it can be challenging to detect fleas without using a flea comb.
- Spot fleas on yourself
If you are feeling a bit uneasy, then there might be a chance that you are under the effect of a flea infestation. For spotting the fleas on you, you might want to put on a white knee-highs pair. Research shows that these pests get attracted to the white clothing. Moreover, it is usually a lot easier to observe the fleas against a white background.
How to get rid of fleas in the house – Using Flea Controls
If you don’t know what to do if you have fleas in your house, then this guide is for you. The best way to eliminate the insects from home is to clean out your pet, and then kill the ones that are hopping around, later. There are two fantastic products available in the market that can help you out in your quest, Advantage, and Frontline.
These products aren’t just helpful in getting rid of the fleas, but they also keep them away from the house for at, least three weeks. For your home, you can make use of foggers, but you might have to use one for each room and follow these guidelines:
- Turn off all pilot lights, as the foggers are highly flammable.
- Remove all humans, animals, fishes, and birds from the affected areas of the house.
- Try not to breathe in flames, as they are toxic.
- Place the fogger on a newspaper to protect the surface on which they are placed.
- Keep the house closed and undisturbed for at least two hours.
- Before introducing animals or small children, thoroughly air out and let the fresh air enter.
Fleabusters, one of the environment-friendly safer alternatives to the foggers, are highly efficient and are available in the market, in the form of powder. The procedure of using this product is:
- Remove and wash all of the bed coverings as this is how to get rid of fleas in bed
- Vacuum rugs and all of the carpeting.
- Cover the floor area with the powder and also sprinkle it inside the sofa cushions
- Don’t forget to spread it along the perimeter of the walls
- Brush or scratch the carpet
- Repeat this procedure at least twice a week
- Properly dispose of the vacuum cleaner bags
How to get rid of fleas in the house – Yard Cleaning
Just like flea controls for in-house fleas, you can also find several products for your yard. As some of these products can be highly toxic, so don’t forget to read the instructions carefully. Moreover, the best thing about these products is that their containers can be adapted to the garden hose, so that’s how you are supposed to do it:
- Spray all of the affected areas of your yard by attaching the product to your garden hose
- Avoid spraying near vegetables or flowers
- Repeat the procedure on as-needed basis
How to get rid of fleas on cats or dogs using Advantage / Frontline
Before you use any of the commercial pesticides, bathe your pet with an anti-flea shampoo. If you want to save yourself from trouble, then you can take it to the vet. Dogs, in particular, are more patient and easier to handle.
Now, to use the flea control treatments you just bought, puncture the tube and squeeze out its content. It is better to apply it near the base of the pet’s neck, at the back of the head and at the places where it can’t scratch or lick. To see the skin, pair the hair and apply the medication on the spot.
How to get rid of fleas in the house – Home Remedies
If you are looking for even better and safer options of “how to get rid of fleas in the house,” then the home based remedies might work best for you. Here, we have listed some of the best and most effective home remedies to get rid of fleas, so select anyone and use it with the patients in mind.
Citrus assists in providing quick relief to tick or flea bites. For treatment, you can make use of citrus-rich fruits like orange and lemon.
- Take a few fresh oranges or lemons
- Peel off their skin
- Place all of the peels in a pot and add sufficient amount of water in it
- Put the pan on the flame and boil the mixture
- Remove it from the fire, after sometime
- To the hot mixture, add 15 drops of lemongrass oil
- Thoroughly mix it with the rest of the mixture
- Leave it aside and let it cool down
- Gently apply the solution to the affected areas of the body
- Let the application dry completely
- Neem Oil
Neem oil can be used to create an excellent flea repellent. Furthermore, you can also use this repellent to remove the fleas from both animals (excluding cats) and humans. To prepare it, follow this procedure:
- In a pot, add and mix ¼ ounce mild detergent and a half ounce of organic neem oil
- Now, add two cups of water to the mixture
- Purchase a spray bottle from the market and pour the solution into it
- Spray this mixture on the affected areas
- Apple cider vinegar
ACV, also known by the name of apple cider vinegar, can be extremely helpful in eliminating fleas. Thanks to the acidity of the apple cider vinegar, it prevents the fleas from sucking the blood and repels them.
- To a cup, add 4 ounces of warm water, 8 ounces of apple cider vinegar along with a half TBSP each of salt and baking soda
- Mix all of the ingredients well
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle and use it to spray on the pets
- Avoid spraying in the eyes
- Repeat the procedure twice a day
Note: You can also add a few drops of neem oil or lavender oil for added benefits.
Now that you know how to get rid of fleas in the house tell us which of the remedies mentioned above are you going to use? Please don’t hesitate to share your queries, suggestions, and experiences with us.