TOP 12 Effective Urinary Tract Infection Home Remedies – Best 12 Tips
If you often feel the unusual urgency to urinate or a burning sensation while peeing, then you are most likely to be a victim of urinary tract infection. A worldwide research says that more than 150 million people get infected by this disease each year. They can be treated with antibiotics, but the worse thing about them is that the concerning bacteria is becoming more and more resistant to the antibiotics.
Today, UTI is one of the primary concerns in the field of medicine and health, due to this capability of the bacteria to hold on against the antibacterial medication. So, it is better to go with the home remedies, which can work as a perfect alternative solution to deal with this infection.
What exactly is the urinary tract infection?
The urinary tract consists of the pair of kidneys, bladder, urethra and the ureter. All of these organs are supposed to make and transport the urine out of the body. This infection is, therefore, the disease of any of these organs or a combination of them.
Most of the time, this infection is due to the Staphylococcus Saprophyticus or E. coli, which are either beneficial or neutral until they stay in the digestive system. As the bacteria move towards the pathway of urine, it can lead to infection. In some cases, it can be due to other common bacteria or fungi, i.e., Proteus or Klebsiella species.
These bacteria or fungi gain access to the urinary tract organs by the placement of a urinary catheter, sexual intercourse, abnormalities in the structures of organs, Diabetes Mellitus, reduced immunity, kidney transplant or overuse of the antibiotics.
12 Amazing Urinary Tracts Infection Home Remedies
Increased fluid intake for urinary tract infection
The primary factor in the treatment of UTI is the hydration. According to the studies conducted by University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in 2013, the low intake of fluid in the body links to the risks of UTI. For the purpose, it is better to drink plenty of fluids or water throughout the day to assist in flushing the bacteria out of the infected organs. Keep the amount of fluid consumption at 8 ounces of water each day.
Garlic for urinary tract infection
According to the Tropical Agriculture Science’s Pertanika Journal, garlic possesses potent antibacterial properties which can help in the elimination of pathogenic bacteria. So, it increases the strength of immune system by stimulating the cytokines. Moreover, the allicin in garlic possesses potent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take five fresh cloves of garlic
- Mash these cloves in the form of a smooth paste
- To this paste, add and mix vinegar and butter
- Use this mixture as a dressing for your salad
- Repeat this procedure every day
Marshmallow Root Tea for urinary tract infection
Marshmallow root tea works as a perfect urinary tract infection treatment, as it assists in speeding up the healing process and soothing the inflamed lining. Being a natural diuretic, it enhances the production of urine and flushes the bacteria out.
- Take 2 TBSP of fresh marshmallow root
- Chop these roots and tie them in a small square piece of cheesecloth
- In a pan, take 8-10 ounce of water
- Remove the water from the flame after boiling it
- To this hot water, add the herb bundle
- Let the mixture steep for about 10 minutes
- Drink this mix after mixing honey in it for added taste
- Use this mixture for thrice a day
Cranberry for urinary tract infection
If you are looking for the best natural UTI antibiotic, then the cranberry is the answer to your quest. According to the studies, the consumption of the juice of cranberries helps in curing the infection and prevents it from recurring.
- Drink four glasses of unsweetened, plain cranberry juice every day
- To avoid the disease, drink a glass of cranberry juice daily
- You can also add the juice of apples in it for enhancing the taste
Baking Soda for urinary tract infection
The baking soda alkalizes and neutralizes the pH level of the urine and eases the symptoms of UTI, which include the burning sensation and pain. Furthermore, it stops the infection from reaching the bladder, where they can lead to severe complications.
- To a cup of cold water, add a TBSP of baking soda
- Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly, until it dissolves completely
- Drink this mixture every day
Parsley Tea for urinary tract infection
Parsley tea helps by boosting the healing process of the body and can work as an excellent UTI treatment without antibiotics. Thanks to the diuretic capabilities of parsley tea, it relieves the discomfort by flushing the bacteria out of the track.
- Take a cup of fresh leaves of parsley or 2 TBSP of dried parsley leaves
- Chop these leaves
- In a pot, take a cup of water and boil it
- Reduce the heat and add the parsley leaves
- Let the mixture simmer down for about 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid from the mixture
- Drink this tea while it is lukewarm
Coriander for urinary tract infection
For people looking for a way of “how to get rid of a UTI,” coriander is the effective remedy, as it cools the body down and prevents the formation of phytochemicals.
- Take 3 TBSP of coriander seeds and crush them coarsely
- In a pot, take some water (about three cups will do)
- Bring this water to boil and remove it from flame
- To this boiling water, add the crushed seeds and keep it there for three hours
- Drink the tea cold or hot
Coconut milk or coconut water for urinary tract infection
The consumption of coconut water cools down the body. The monolaurin, present in the water of coconut, possesses potent antimicrobial properties.
- Drink the water of 3 tender coconuts every day
- The coconut milk provides laxative effect due to its high oil content, so it is better to drink it in small quantities
- To get similar benefits, you can take 2 TBSP of coconut cream or coconut oil
Blueberry for urinary tract infection
According to the Maryland Medical Center University, blueberries work efficiently in preventing the kidney infection. The presence of proanthocyanides in blueberries stops the bacteria from attaching to the walls of the urinary tract. You can use them by adding them to desserts or oatmeal. You can also rinse a cup of blueberries and consume them.
Oregano Oil for urinary tract infection
The presence of carvacrol in the oregano oil prevents the E. coli bacteria from growing and thus¸ stops the symptoms of bladder infection. The powerful antimicrobial properties of oregano oil and the glucosides assist in controlling the bold sugar. The anti-oxidants in this oil prevent the cells from getting damaged by the free radicals.
- Dilute three drops of oregano oil in coconut oil, water, olive oil or juice
- Drink this mixture twice a day
- Use this remedy for at least two weeks
Tartar Cream and Lemon for urinary tract infection
The tartar cream neutralizes and balances the level of pH of the urine and renders the environment unstable for the bacteria to thrive. The addition of lemon juice in it can enhance its strength by two or three folds to fight off the infection.
- To a cup of warm water, add 1 and a half TBSP of tartar cream
- Add some lemon juice to it
- Stir well to mix both the ingredients
- Drink this mixture two times every day
Lemon for urinary tract infection
Just like baking soda, the lemon water prevents the kidney stone formation by flushing the toxins and harmful bacteria out of the body.
- Take a fresh lemon and cut it in two halves
- Squeeze the juice of this lemon in a cup of water
- Thoroughly mix both of the ingredients
- Drink this mixture in the morning, before eating or drinking anything (i.e., the empty stomach)
- You can add the juice of lemons in your salad dressings or teas
Safety tips and prevents for the prevention of urinary tract infection
- Avoid the usage of spermicides, as they nurture the bacteria and can lead to the urinary tract irritation, just like diaphragms and unlubricated condoms do.
- It is usually better to urinate after having sex, as there can be a chance that your partner had the infection.
- Maintain the dryness and cleanness of the area around the pelvis. The use of cotton pantyhose and underwear are recommended, as it reduces the risks of infection.
- Prefer staying away from the carbonated and citrus drinks, as well as chocolates and coffee, as all of these can cause inflammation in the bladder and make the symptoms stay there for much longer.
- You can use different pain-relieving drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen to get rid of the pain.
If you think that we forgot to mention a great remedy for treating the urinary tract infection, then please do tell us. Also, don’t hesitate to share your queries, suggestions, and experiences with us.