Top 9 Natural Home Remedies of Turmeric for Skin Whitening – Best 9 Tips
Natural remedies like papaya, baking soda, Aloe Vera and turmeric for skin whitening are the perfect alternative to the commercial skin care products, as they are free from the harmful side effects. According to studies, the difference of skin tones is due to the presence of melanin in the top layer of the skin. The higher amount of melanin ensures a darker skin tone.
The skin care products that are commercially available are meant to decrease the amount of melanin to make it flawless and light. But the worst thing about them is that their long-term use can lead to cancer and several other serious issues. This is why experts recommend going for natural remedies like turmeric for skin lightening.
What does turmeric do for your skin?
- Curcumin, one of the primary components present in turmeric, assists in controlling the production of melanin and hyperpigmentation, which usually get triggered by skin damage, tumors, pituitary stress, Cushing Syndrome and sun exposure.
- In case of oily skin, the phytosterols and the fatty acids in turmeric are useful for decreasing the amount of oil produced by the skin.
- As the continuous exposure of the skin to the rays of the sun, the amount of matrix metalloproteinase-2 increases which leads to the reduced amount of collagen between the middle and outer skin layers. Turmeric prevents the growth of MMP-2 in the body.
- The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric work to counter the skin aging effects. Moreover, it minimizes the fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots and changes in skin pigment.
- The potent antibacterial properties of curcumin fight against the P. Acne bacteria.
Best 9 Methods of using turmeric for skin whitening
Turmeric can help you in achieving flawless and younger looking skin in small time, and there are several methods of using turmeric for skin whitening. All you have got to do is select a remedy and stick with it until you get the expected results.
Turmeric Powder and Lemon Juice
The lightening (skin-bleaching) capabilities of lemon with turmeric act as a perfect mask for dealing with oily skin and preventing the aging of the skin.
- Mix a TBSP of turmeric powder with 2 TBSP of lemon juice.
- Apply a layer of it on your skin
- Let the mixture stay there for about 20 minutes
- Wash this mix off using fresh water.
- Don’t forget to scrub the skin by the circular motion of your fingers, while washing it.
- Repeat this procedure two times every week before you go to bed
Note: Regarding the use of lemon juice and turmeric for skin whitening: You can also use wild turmeric rather than turmeric powder.
Milk and Turmeric for Skin Whitening
For the people looking for an answer to “does drinking turmeric milk lighten skin?”, the mixture of turmeric in milk is a great combination, as it cleanses the skin and exfoliates the dead skin cells, impurities and dirt that clog up the skin pores. It is a fantastic solution to hyperpigmentation, acne scars and acne.
- Combine a TBPS of milk with a half TBSP of turmeric
- Use a facial brush or fingers to apply a layer of the mixture on the affected areas of your skin
- Keep it there for about an hour
- Wash the application off using fresh water
- For the yellow-stained skin, take a small cotton ball and dip it in milk
- Wash it off after rubbing this ball, gently, on your skin for about a few minutes
- Use this mixture for nearly thrice a week
Note: You can also use milk powder or rosewater in place of milk.
Oil and Turmeric for Skin Whitening
In case of itchy, flaky and dry skin, you can use a combination of castor oil, coconut oil or almond oil for this mixture of oil and turmeric.
- In the sufficient amount of any oil, add and mix a TBSP of turmeric powder
- On the affected areas of your skin, gently massage with this mixture for a few minutes
- Let this mix stay on for about 30 minutes
- Use cold water to wash the mixture off after your rinse it with lukewarm water
- Repeat this process thrice every week
Honey and Turmeric for Skin Whitening
Honey assists in locking the moisture in the cells of the skin to treat acne and soothe the sun burns.
- To the two TBSP of honey, add ¼ TBSP of turmeric powder
- Mix both of the ingredients well and apply it on the skin
- Keep it there for about 30 minutes
- Wash the mixture off using lukewarm water
- Use this combination three times every week
Yogurt, Avocado, and Turmeric for Skin Whitening
Yogurt contains enormous quantities of lactic acid, which assists in nourishing the skin and keeping the moisture locked in it.
- Take a fresh avocado and take out its pulp
- Separate 1/4 of this pulp and mash it till you get a smooth paste
- Add a TBSP of yogurt along with a TBSP of turmeric in this paste
- Mix all of the ingredients
- Apply this mixture on the affected areas of your skin
- Let the application dry after keeping it there for about 15 minutes
- Use lukewarm water to wash the mixture off
- Wash it again with cold water
- Use this mixture thrice a week
Gram Flour and Turmeric for Skin Whitening
You can use the combination of gram flour and turmeric for dark spots on face, as it cleans the skin and moisturizes it.
- Make a smooth paste by mixing 2 TBSP of gram flour with a half TBSP of turmeric powder and sufficient amount of yogurt
- Stir all of the ingredients well
- Apply this paste on your skin and scrub with it for about a few minutes
- Rinse off the application using fresh water after leaving it there for about 30 minutes
- Repeat this procedure for thrice a week
Cucumber and Turmeric for Skin Whitening
The strong astringent properties of cucumber slow the aging process of the skin.
- Mix ¼ TBSP of turmeric powder with 2 TBSP of cucumber juice
- Evenly apply a coat of this mixture on the affected areas of your skin
- Massage with this mixture for about 5 minutes
- Let it stay on for an hour
- Use lukewarm water to wash the mixture off
- Repeat the procedure thrice a week
Rice powder and Turmeric for Skin Whitening
The excellent exfoliating capabilities of rice powder helps in the removal of dead skin cells, impurities, and dirt from the skin.
- Add and mix a TBSP of sandalwood powder, a TBSP of rose water and a half TBSP of turmeric
- Use this mixture on your skin
- Let it air dry
- Use lukewarm water to rinse off the mixture
- Rewash with cold water
- Use this combination thrice a week
Orange Peels and Turmeric for Skin Whitening
The peels of an orange act as a magic potion to cure blackheads, acne, blemishes, and pigmentation.
- Take a fresh orange and peel it off
- Place the peel under the sun to dry it until it gets crispy
- Use a blender to blend it to the powder form
- Combine a TBSP of turmeric with 2 TBSP of orange peel and sufficient quantities of water to create a smooth paste
- Apply this mixture on your skin
- Keep it there for about 20 minutes
- Use lukewarm water and cold water to rinse it off in an alternate manner
- Repeat this process thrice a week to lighten your skin
Safety Precautions and tips for using turmeric for skin whitening
- Use gloves while applying any turmeric based mixture, as it is a natural dye and stains the fingers, clothes and anything it touches.
- Prefer using ceramic, steel or porcelain vessels for mixing the ingredients.
- For the internal consumption of turmeric, limit the dosage.
- In case, if you are breastfeeding or pregnant, then it is better to consult your gynecologist before you start consuming any turmeric based above mentioned remedies.
- Avoid the usage of turmeric, if you think, you are allergic to it. For the purpose, you can perform a simple patch test.
- Make sure that you have applied a mild sunscreen lotion before you expose your body to the sun rays.
- Avoid the use of harsh chemical based skin care products like paraben and many others.
If you think that we forgot to mention a great remedy implementing turmeric for skin whitening, then please do tell us. Also, don’t hesitate to share your queries, suggestions, and experiences with us.