TOP 10 Remedies using Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus – [Best 10 Tips]
Experts recommend using tea tree oil for nail fungus as it helps you get rid of it without any side effects. According to studies, more than 10% of adult population in the US is suffering from onychomycosis (also known by the name of nail fungus). It occurs when the mold or fungus grows under the nails, which makes the discolored, weak, brittle and distorted.
Spending a lot of time in the water, warm environment and injured nails are the primary factors leading to the development of fungus. Mainly, the people with athlete’s foot and weaker immune system are much more prone to develop this infection.
Is tree oil useful for nail fungus useful?
- The Terpinen-4-ol, an anti-fungal and anti-microbial disinfectant present in tea tree oil, makes it extremely efficient by destabilizing the cell membranes of fungus and killing them.
- The tea tree oil penetrates into the skin layers and fights off the fungus by increasing the drug absorption and retention within the skin.
- The tea tree oil restores the clarity, smoothness and the shine of the nails and the surrounding skin by speeding up the healing process of the body.
Methods of using tea tree oil for nail fungus
There are several ways to treat nail fungus using tea tree oil. For your convenience, we have listed those methods below. We recommend you to try them regularly, after choosing one. It is important to note that due to the slow growth of toenails, it can take more than a month for the infection to be completely cured.
Diluted Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
As the direct application of tea tree oil can lead to severe irritation and burning sensation, it should never be used without dilution. If you don’t know how to dilute tea tree oil for toenail fungus, then follow this procedure:
- To a TBSP of water, add three drops of tea tree oil
- Mix the ingredients well
- Apply the solution on your nails using a cotton ball
- Let the application stay there for about 10 minutes
- Gently scrub the nails with the help of a clean toothbrush
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry your skin
- Repeat the procedure in a regular manner
Tea tree oil soak for Nail Fungus
Soaking in a solution of tea tree oil can assist it in reaching the areas underneath the nails, to fight the infection off, once and for all. Moreover, this remedy also removes the dead skin cells, dead fungus material, and impurities.
- Take a large bowl and fill it with warm water
- To it, add six drops of tea tree oil
- Mix the ingredients well by stirring it
- Soak your toenails or fingers in this solution for about 10 minutes and dry them using towels
- Repeat this procedure of soaking in tea tree oil for nail fungus at least twice a day
Note: For added benefits, you can also add two drops of peppermint oil and a half cup of warm cider vinegar.
Grape Seed Oil, Orange Oil, and Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
As a rich source of antibacterial and antifungal compounds, grape oil helps in getting rid of nail fungus. Orange oil, on the other hand, treats nail fungus, thanks to its antifungal properties.
- Mix half TBSP of orange oil along with half TBSP of grapeseed oil in a TBSP of tea tree oil
- In this mixture of oil, dip a small cotton ball
- Hold this cotton ball against the affected nails for about three minutes
- Let the nail dry after removing the cotton
- For better results, repeat this process in a daily manner
Note: You can also replace the coconut oil with grapeseed oil.
Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
According to studies, the hydroxytyrosol, present in olive oil, is a powerful antioxidant that effectively kills the yeast of fungus associated with fingernail or toenail fungus. Moreover, the olive oil assists in speeding up the healing process of the skin.
- Take equal quantities of olive oil and tea tree oil in a bowl
- Mix all of the ingredients till you get a consistent mixture
- Apply this mixture on your nails using a cotton ball
- Remove the mix using fresh water after letting it dry
- Pat your nails dry
- Repeat this process in a regular manner
Note regarding the combination of olive oil and tea tree oil for nail fungus: Instead of virgin olive oil, you can use ozonated olive oil or leaf extract oil.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
The antifungal properties of apple cider vinegar eliminate the fungus by balancing the pH levels and creating an inhospitable environment for the fungus to survive.
- Take some warm water in a cup
- Add a cup of apple cider vinegar to it
- Towel dry your nails after soaking your toenails or tea tree oil fingernails for about 40 minutes
- Apply diluted tea tree oil using a cotton ball on the infected nails and let it dry
- Repeat the process twice a day
Alternatively: Combine tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar and apply using a Q-tip or a cotton ball.
Coconut Oil and Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
Thanks to the enormous quantities of fatty acids present in coconut oil, it can quickly insert itself in the lipid layers of cell membranes of fungus. This eventually results in destruction and disintegration of fungus. Furthermore, it improves the health of surrounding skin and nails.
- Take ¼ cup of coconut oil (organic) and melt it
- Add and stir it with 15 drops of the tea tree oil
- Pour this mixture into a glass container
- Let the mixture stand until it solidifies
- Apply this solidified cream on the affected nails thrice a day, especially before going to bed and after the showers
Oregano Oil and Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
Oregano oil is a rich source of carvacrol compounds, which possess potent antifungal properties, which prevents the growth of nail fungus and kills them.
- Take some organic coconut oil in solid form (about 3 TBSP will do)
- Melt this solidified oil and add 30 drops each of oregano oil and tea tree oil to it
- Mix the ingredients well
- Apply this mixture on the infected nails using a ball of cotton
- Let the mix dry thoroughly (don’t rinse it off)
- Keep repeating this procedure until you get rid of the infection
Baking Soda and Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
The fungistatic capabilities of baking soda eliminate the infection causing fungus. Just like apple cider vinegar, it creates an inhospitable environment for the survival of fungus by balancing out the pH levels in the body.
- Combine three drops of sage oil, basil oil and tea tree oil in a bowl
- Also, add two TBSP of arrowroot powder and baking soda to it
- Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients
- On the infected toenails or fingernails, apply this mixture and wear socks or gloves
- Remove the socks or gloves after leaving it on for 20 minutes
- Use fresh water to rinse off the mixture
- Towel dry the nails and the surrounding skin
- Use this remedy at least once every day
Rubbing Alcohol and Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
The sterilizing properties of rubbing alcohol are beneficial in the elimination of the fungus. This method works best for budding stage or mild cases but isn’t much use for severe infections.
- Mix 20 drops of tea tree oil along with ten drops of grape seed extract and 2 TBSP of alcohol
- Shake the mixture gently after pouring it in a spray bottle
- Let the mixture air dry after spraying it on the nails
- Gently massage using a small amount of coconut oil and let it dry
- Repeat this procedure once every day
DMSO and Tea Tree Oil for Nail Fungus
Being a natural solvent, DMSO quickly penetrates into the layers under the nails and kills the fungus. This process isn’t of much help for severe level infections.
- Mix 9 parts of tea tree oil and 1 part of DMSO
- Apply this mixture on your nails with the help of a cotton ball
- Cover the area with a bandage
- Keep it there for a few minutes
- Rinse the mixture off with fresh water after removing the bandages
- Towel dry your skin
- Repeat this procedure in a regular manner
Safety precautions and tips for using the tea tree oil for nail fungus
- Keep your nails clean and short to prevent the clogging of bacteria under the nails. You can also make use of a manicure kit to maintain the fresh nails.
- Being contagious, it can quickly spread in places like swimming pools and gyms. So, make sure to wear sandals or shoes in public areas.
- If unnecessary, then prefer wearing sandals rather than shoes. Shoes create a comfortable environment for the growth of fungus.
- Wear the ventilated socks to promote air circulation and restriction the buildup of moisture.
- If the nail fungus persists for more than eight weeks, even after the use of home remedies, then it would be better to consult a podiatrist.
- Prefer using medicated tea tree oil nail polish, instead of regular polish.
- You can also use tea tree oil for nail growth and also for tea tree oil for nail strength
Regardless the effectivity of tea tree oil for nail fungus, we recommend our readers to patch test before using it as a regular treatment. Don’t forget to share your queries and suggestions with us.