TOP 8 Effective Remedies Using Tea Tree Oil for Head Lice
Analysts revealed that more than 25 percent of young, school-aged kids and millions of people get infested with head lice every year. To treat head lice, people spend millions of dollars for chemical treatments and medications, but with every passing generation of head lice, they are becoming more and more resistant to chemicals based treatments. Moreover, these chemicals are much more dangerous for us than they are for head lice. So, it is better to go for a natural remedy like tea tree oil for head lice.
What makes tea tree oil effective in treating head lice infestation?
- Terpinen-4-ol and 1, 8-cineole, present in tea tree oil, possess remarkable insecticidal properties, which makes tea tree oil extremely useful in dealing with head lice. In fact, just 1% solution of tea tree oil will rid your head of the head lice within 30 minutes.
- Studies proved that tea tree oil could eliminate head lice in both stages, adult, and nymph. The mother head lice attach their eggs with the hair strands using glue-like material, so the use of tea tree oil for lice eggs dissolves this gum making it easier to remove them while combing.
- The smell of tea tree oil is extremely pungent for the head lice, so they stay away from the person using this oil, thus helps in prevention of re-infestation.
Methods of Using Tea Tree Oil for Head Lice
Listed below are the most efficient remedies using tea tree oil for head lice. All you have to do is, select a tea tree oil lice remedy and use it regularly (until you get rid of them). Don’t worry; we have provided step by step procedure for every method.
Shampoo and tea tree oil for head lice
The combination of tea tree oil and shampoo is extremely beneficial in treating head lice, no matter how worse is the situation.
- In your condition or shampoo, add ten drops of tea tree oil
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair
- Cover your head using a shower cap
- Let it stay on for 10 to 15 minutes. Adults can leave it for a whole night.
- Comb your hair carefully and thoroughly to remove the lice
- Wash the shampoo off using lukewarm water
- Repeat this procedure every day
Tea tree oil spray
Tea tree oil spray works the same as the above combination but is safe even for highly sensitive skins. So, if your skin is sensitive, we recommend you to go with this method. If you don’t know how to make tea tree oil spray for head lice, then follow this procedure:
- Take 1 ounce of water in a bottle (a spray bottle would be better)
- Close the lid of the bottle after adding tea tree oil to it (about four drops will do)
- Shake it well to mix the ingredients perfectly
- Spray this mixture on your scalp and hairs before going to bed in night
- In the morning, slightly moisten your hair and comb them carefully to remove the lice
- Repeat the process every day to keep the head lice away from your head
Tea tree oil for head lice
The tea tree oil, itself, can be used for dealing with head lice but you will have to be cautious while using it. It possesses extreme nature and can cause burning and other discomforts the affected area of your skin. For the purpose, properly dilute it with a carrier oil or water.
- Before going to sleep, apply this diluted tea tree oil on your hair and scalp
- Let it stay there for a whole night. You can use a towel to avoid staining of the pillow.
- Comb your hair thoroughly to remove the head lice in the next morning
- Use shampoo with fresh water for washing off the oil
- Depending on the severity of the infestation, apply this oil 2 to 3 times every week
Apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid which dissolves and loosens the adhesive material that connects the eggs to the hair shaft.
- Take 1 cup apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle
- Add 2 to 3 TBSP shampoo and 5 milliliters of tea tree oil
- Shake the bottle well after closing the lid
- Spray your hair, tie them and cover them using a shower cap
- Keep it untouched for about 20 to 30 minutes
- Wash your hairs (just like you do every time) using a conditioner and shampoo
- Repeat this process 3 to 4 times every week
Eucalyptus, rosemary and tea tree oil
According to research, Eucalyptus also helps in removing the head lice, thanks to its antiseptic properties. Rosemary, on the other hand, also possesses potent antiseptic and insecticidal capabilities. In other words, we are making a powerful combination for treating head lice.
- Mix 1 TBSP tea tree oil with 1 TBSP of either eucalyptus oil or rosemary
- Combine this mixture with your conditioner and shampoo
- Use these to wash your scalp and hair regularly
Lavender oil and tea tree oil for head lice
Due to its active natural insect repellent properties, the combination of tea tree oil and lavender oil suffocates the head lice and kills them.
- Take half TBSP lavender oil and mix it with half TBSP tea tree oil
- Apply this mixture on your head
- Let the application stay on for a whole night
- To remove head lice, thoroughly comb your hair
- Wash off the mixture with lukewarm water
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times every week
Olive oil and tea tree oil
Just like the above combination, the mixture of olive oil and tea tree oil makes it harder for the lice to crawl on the scalp.
- Take a few drops tea tree oil in a pot
- Add 2 to 3 TBSP olive oil in it
- Mix both the ingredients till you achieve a consistent mixture
- Apply the mixture and leave it on for about 30 to 60 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water
- To prevent further head lice infestations, rinse your hair again but, this time, use vinegar
- Remove dead lice by a thorough combing of the hairs
- Use this mixture for a few days
rubbing alcohol and tea tree oil for head lice
The disinfecting properties of the rubbing alcohol help in providing relief from the itchy feeling caused by head lice and healing the pores. Moreover, it restricts the blood sucking capability of the head lice.
- Take 3 ounces of rubbing alcohol in a pot
- Mix 20 drops tea tree oil in it
- Pour this mixture in a bottle and spray the solution on your hair and scalp
- Let it stay on for 12 hours or leave it for a night
- Next day, wash off the mixture from your hair with fresh water
- For better results, use this mixture at least two times every week
Safety Precautions and Tips for Getting the Best results by Using Tea Tree Oil for Head Lice
- Ensure that you aren’t allergic to tea tree oil and for the purpose; you can try a patch before you switch to full-scale regular treatment.
- In case you are allergic to tea tree oil, then it is better to stay away from it
- Never consume tea tree oil as it highly toxic and leads to drowsiness, loss of muscle control, disorientation, rash and even coma
- The use of tea tree oil based hair care products leads to enlargement of breast tissues among boys
- Leaving an application for the time greater than instructed, can damage the scalp and hairs.
- Wash the pillows, their covers and bed sheets in hot water to cleanse them off any surviving lice
- Vacuum the carpets and floors every day. Use a tea tree oil spray for lice on furniture.
- Avoid head to head contact with the infested person
- Don’t share your accessories with the person infested with lice
Which of the methods mentioned above did you try? Which remedy proved useful for you? Do you have any other solution regarding the use of tea tree oil for head lice that can work better than these remedies? Please do share your queries, suggestions, and experiences with us.