TOP 10 Effective DIY Home Remedies of Olive Oil for Psoriasis
With every passing year, the number of cases of psoriasis increases. Leave the rest of the world, the number of psoriasis cases grows by 150,000, every year, just in the United States. In this disease, red patches of dry skin develop over the current skin layer which takes away the beauty of the skin. These patches aren’t removable through any remedy as there is no cure for psoriasis, but one can use remedies like olive oil for psoriasis and controlling the appearance of these patches.
What Makes Olive Oil Effective against Psoriasis?
- Dry skin is the most common indication of psoriasis, which causes flaking of the skin and irritation. The extra virgin olive oil contains significant quantities of monosaturated fatty acids, which help in moisturizing the skin and save it from flaking.
- Olive oil is a rich source of vitamin E. Vitamin E assists in dealing with the inflammatory reactions and the pain caused by psoriasis.
- Psoriasis leads to the loss of many vital antioxidants from the body. Polyphenols, present in abundance in olive oil, are the perfect replacement for the lost antioxidants and help in fixing the imbalance created by the loss.
- As psoriasis comes with an increased risk of heart diseases, olive oil reduces this risk by making use of oleic acid present in it.
Methods of Treating Psoriasis with Olive Oil
There are many ways in which one can use olive oil to treat psoriasis, i.e. topical application or drinking olive oil for psoriasis. We have listed some of the useful remedies, it does not matter which solution you choose, but what is important is to have some patience for the results to appear.
Olive oil for psoriasis
Olive oil (particularly extra virgin olive oil) is an amazing moisturizer for skin and provides an immediate soothing effect to the affected areas of the skin.
- Take a small amount of olive oil in a pan
- Put the pan on flame and heat it for a few minutes
- Remove from the flame
- Using a cotton cloth, apply the oil to the concerned areas
- Keep it there for about 20 minutes
- Wash using lukewarm water. You can use a tissue, as well, to wipe off any excess oil.
- Repeat this procedure daily.
Bath using olive oil for psoriasis
Lesions of psoriasis induce itching and burning. High quantities of vitamin E in olive oil help in soothing this burning. Avoid the use of harsh chemical soaps, but if you still want to use one, then go for a homemade olive oil soap. Using vitamin E oil for psoriasis also helps.
- In your bucket of water, add 2 TBSP of olive oil
- Mix well
- Bathe using this mixture at least 3 to 4 times every week
Milk and olive oil for psoriasis
The combination of milk and olive oil is truly one of the best naturally available moisturizer. This mixture helps in softening the skin cells and decreasing the chances of the breakout of psoriasis lesions.
- Take a glass of milk
- Add 2 TBSP of olive oil to it
- To your bath water, add this mixture and soak in it for some time
- Remove the lesions flakes from your skin by a gentle massage, during the bath
- For better results, repeat this process every day
Tea tree oil and olive oil
Tea tree is an excellent exfoliator for the skin. Thanks to its highly efficient anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-microbial properties, it reduces the itching and soreness caused by psoriasis. Moreover, it softens the skin.
- Take ten parts of olive oil along with 1 part of tea tree oil and mix them
- Massage with the warm mixture to the affected areas of the skin for 2 minutes
- Leave it there for another 30 minutes
- Wash it off with fresh water
- Repeat this process daily (particularly before bathing)
Oregano oil, calendula oil, and olive oil
Calendula oil acts as a soothing agent for psoriasis, whereas oregano oil has amazing antiseptic, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take equal quantities of oregano oil, calendula oil and olive oil in a pot
- Mix it well
- On the affected areas, apply and gently massage using this mixture
- Wash it off using lukewarm water and leaving it on for a few minutes
- Use this mixture daily
Sugar and olive oil for psoriasis
Just like tea tree oil, sugar is an amazing exfoliator and helps in the removal of dead skin cells. It also assists in the elimination of eczema and psoriasis symptoms.
- Mix equal quantities of sugar and olive oil
- Apply and massage using this mixture on the affected areas of the skin for a few minutes
- Wipe off the excess mixture using a piece of clean cloth
- Let it stay on for a few minutes
- Apply a light moisturizer on the skin after washing it with lukewarm water
Licorice root and olive oil
Glycyrrhizin, which is present abundantly in Licorice, helps in controlling different conditions of skin like rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis, etc. Moreover, it contributes to soothe and reduce the burning, inflammation, irritation, and redness of the skin.
- Take a jar
- Place licorice root in it
- Fill it with olive oil
- Let it steep for about 4 to 6 weeks after closing the lid tightly (you can also heat the mixture for several hours on low flame)
- Strain the oil into another pot
- Apply and massage using the oil
- Keep it untouched for a few minutes
- For better results, use the oil 2 to 3 times every day
Apple cider vinegar and olive oil
Apple cider vinegar possesses remarkable disinfectant properties, as it fights against the infection caused by the lesions of psoriasis.
- Take a small amount of diluted apple cider vinegar in a pot
- Apply on the skin and leave it there for a few minutes, as it will give enough time to the mixture to absorb completely into the skin.
- Repeat the procedure 2 to 3 times every day
Honey, beeswax and olive oil
Wax helps in tightening the skin and brightens its complexion. Moreover, it possesses significant anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties.
- Take some wax and melt it
- Mix this melted wax with enough quantities of honey and olive oil
- Gently massage with this mixture
- Let it steep for some time
- Wash it off using fresh water
- For better results, repeat the process regularly
Turmeric and olive oil
Turmeric reduces the number of cytokine enzymes, the enzymes responsible for the formation of plaque in the case of psoriasis.
- Take a small quantity of extra virgin olive oil and add turmeric in it
- Mix well till it gets the shape of a fine paste
- Use this paste directly on psoriasis affected areas of your skin
- Keep it untouched for some time
- Using lukewarm water, wash this paste off
- Use this mixture regularly
Safety precautions and tips for better results using olive oil for psoriasis
- If your skin is highly sensitive, then it is better to know if you are allergic to olive oil or any of the ingredients used in the remedies mentioned above. So, for the purpose, use patch test.
- It might not be a good idea to use olive oil on infants, as it usually leads to eczema.
- While heating extra virgin olive oil, it is better to stay within the range of mild temperature.
- Ozonated olive oil, e.g. O2-zap, etc. can give rise to better results than regular olive oils
- Heating olive oil beyond the smoking point can lead to health-related issues.
- Avoid the use of spicy foods, as they can worsen the inflammation. Same goes for sugary and oily foods.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water, as it helps to flush out the toxins.
- Never scratch the affected areas of skin.
- You can also use olive oil for psoriasis on the scalp.
It is a fact that psoriasis is un-curable, but it is also a fact that there are many ways with which one can control it using the ingredients that are usually available in a kitchen. If you faced any difficulty or have any confusion regarding how to use olive oil for psoriasis, then please don’t hesitate to ask. Also, share your suggestions with us.