Top 8 DIY Home Remedies using Oatmeal for Keratosis Pilaris
Affecting more than 40% of people worldwide, keratosis pilaris is a pretty common skin condition that can be dealt with by using different home remedies implementing oatmeal for keratosis pilaris. This disease appears as rough, dry and tiny bumps which resemble chicken skin or goosebumps. Though it isn’t a severe skin condition, it can be socially damaging and embarrassing.
Keratosis pilaris occurs when the keratin exceeds the standard limit and combines with dirt and dead skin cells to clog up the hair follicles. According to studies, people with dry skin are highly prone to it, because of the presence of loose dry flakes. Though incurable, this condition can be controlled by the use of natural ingredients like olive oil, coconut oil and oatmeal without any fear of side effects.
Is oatmeal for keratosis pilaris effective?
- Saponins, being the primary component of oatmeal, enable it to act as an effective natural cleanser for the skin and remove debris and dirt. So, without disturbing the barrier of the skin, it unclogs the hair follicles.
- Oatmeal contains enormous quantities of polysaccharides, which possess a gel-like texture. Polysaccharides lock the moisture in the skin by working as a protective layer. This helps in the prevention of itchy and dry skin (which are common symptoms for keratosis pilaris.
- Colloidal oatmeal is a rich source of Avenanthramides, which being excellent antioxidant compounds relieve the person of the irritation, redness, and inflammation caused by keratosis pilaris.
Best 8 Methods of using oatmeal for keratosis pilaris
Among several methods of implementing oatmeal as a natural remedy for treating keratosis pilaris., we have mentioned some of the best and most useful ways below. All you have got to do is select a treatment and stick to it until you get your desired results.
Oatmeal Bath for keratosis pilaris
One of the most straightforward methods for using oatmeal for keratosis pilaris is to take an oatmeal bath to reduce itchiness and moisturize your skin. For the purpose, you can use either oatmeal powder or whole oatmeal.
- Add a handful of oatmeal powder or fresh oatmeal to a bathtub of lukewarm water
- Soak your body in this water for about 15 minutes
- Pat dry your dry using a smooth cotton towel after taking a shower
- Repeat this procedure at least three times every day
Note: You can also a TBSP of honey along with a cup of milk for further relaxing effect.
Oatmeal Scrub for keratosis pilaris
Oatmeal scrub works as an excellent exfoliator and removes the layer of dead skin cells accumulated over the skin. Moreover, it unclogs the hair follicles to help in the reduction of keratin production.
- Take two TBSP of milk
- Add two TBSP of oatmeal to it and mix both the ingredients
- Apply this mixture on the affected areas of the skin
- Now massage gently for a few minutes
- Let it stay there for about 15 minutes
- Pat dry your skin after washing off the application with water
- For best results, repeat this process thrice a day
Baking Soda Scrub and Oatmeal for keratosis pilaris
Just like an oatmeal scrub, baking soda is a powerful exfoliating agent that reduces the tiny bumps on the skin by removing the dead skin cells.
- Take equal quantities of the oatmeal and baking soda
- Mix well both the ingredients in a bowl
- Add sufficient amount of water to this mixture
- Stir it using a spoon
- For about minutes, set the pot aside
- Gently massage using this mixture for a few minutes
- Repeat this procedure at least two times every day
Honey, Lemon, and Oatmeal for keratosis pilaris
Lemon pumps out the excess keratin by absorbing into the skin. Moreover, it evens out the skin by unclogging the hair follicles and reducing the pigmentation. The powerful humectant properties of honey enable it to hydrate the skin and lock the moisture in it.
- Mix ¼ cup of lemon juice with ¾ cup of oatmeal, ¼ cup of honey and a small amount of water in a bowl
- You can also use a coffee blender to achieve a perfect consistency in the mixture
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas of the skin
- For a couple of minutes, gently massage before using lukewarm water to wash it off
- Repeat this process thrice a week until you get rid of keratosis pilaris
Coconut oil and Oatmeal for keratosis pilaris
Keratosis pilaris coconut oil contains enormous quantities of lauric acid that sets the follicles free by breaking down the keratin.
- Take ¼ cup of melted coconut oil along with ¼ cup of powdered sugar, one TBSP honey, and ½ cup oatmeal
- Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly until you get a consistent mixture
- Gently scrub using your fingers
- Before washing off using fresh water, keep it there for about 30 minutes
- Use this application once every week
Olive oil and Oatmeal for keratosis pilaris
Olive oil, being a rich source of vitamin E, helps you get rid of excess keratin. Furthermore, it rejuvenates the damaged and dead skin layer.
- Take ¼ cup each of honey, sugar and olive oil along with one cup of oatmeal in a bowl
- Now mix the ingredients
- Use this mixture as scrub for the affected areas of the skin
- Let it stay there for about 10 minutes after scrubbing for a couple of minutes
- Wash off the application using lukewarm water
- Use this remedy at least once every week
- Note regarding olive oil and oatmeal for keratosis pilaris: For achieving greater consistency of the mixture, heat it for about 30 seconds before application.
Oatmeal Brown Sugar Mask for keratosis pilaris
Brown sugar is an excellent hydrating agent and a great exfoliator. The smaller grain size of brown sugar makes it highly effective in dealing with sensitive facial skin.
- Grind a TBSP of brown sugar and a TBSP of oatmeal in a blender
- Add a TBSP of Jojoba Oil along with 1 TBSP of honey and a drop of lavender oil to this mixture
- Mix it to form a thick paste
- Dip your fingers in the mix to make them wet and gently scrub for about 5 minutes in a circular motion
- Keep it there for 15 minutes
- Use lukewarm water to wash off the mixture from the skin
- Repeat this procedure many times a week
Oatmeal soap for keratosis pilaris
As the harsh chemicals based soap can worsen the situation of the keratosis pilaris, so instead of using them, it is usually better to make use of a non-toxic oatmeal soap, which you can create at home. This chemical-free soap assists in soothing the skin reduce the itchiness and evens the skin bumps. We have given the detailed procedure with step by step instructions to help you in making the best body wash for keratosis pilaris in the form of homemade oatmeal soap.
- Melt 2 lbs. of Shea butter soap base in a double boiler or a microwave
- Remove from the heat, once it melts
- To it, add 2 TBSP of almond oil along with two TBSP of honey and cup of oats
- Thoroughly stir it to get a consistent mixture
- Cool the mixture down for about 5 hours after pouring it a small mold
- You can also quicken the process by freezing it in the refrigerator or fridge
- Take the soap off the frames, after the soap attains sufficient hardness
- Remove the uneven edges/sides
- Use this soap to wash your body during the daily bath
Safety tips and precautions using oatmeal for keratosis pilaris
- Avoid using oatmeal, if you think, you are allergic to it. You can also perform a small patch test to make that sure before using any remedies mentioned above.
- For the people suffering from keratosis pilaris, it is essential to moisturize your skin, because it renders the skin dry and lifeless.
- Apply natural moisturizers like shea butter, coconut oil and Aloe Vera on your skin in a daily manner
- Drink plenty of green tea and water, as it assists in flushing out the harmful toxins from the body
- Always avoid the use of commercial moisturizers, gels, and soaps, as they contain hazardous chemicals.
- Never scratch the lesions, as it will only add to your sufferings.
- You can also use glycolic and alpha-hydroxy acids based creams to reduce the keratins levels of your skin and body.
- Avoid going out in case of extremely hot and cold environments.
- Add plenty of nuts, fruits, and leafy vegetables as your keratosis pilaris cure diet. Exercise regularly to achieve a healthier body and skin.
It is important to note that the above-mentioned home remedies to cure keratosis pilaris permanent using oatmeal for keratosis pilaris can take to show their results. So, we recommend you to try them with patience. Also, don’t hesitate to share your suggestions and queries with us.