How to Get Rid of Chigger Bites – [TOP 10 Ways]
Chigger bites aren’t visible immediately after their attack. Instead, it takes a few hours for the infection to be visible as they inject enzymes into the body of their victims by drilling microscopic holes. These enzymes then take their time in killing their victim’s skin cells them, so the effects might not be observable after a few hours. The body heals the infection within 1 to 3 weeks, but you can use natural remedies to speed up the process and reduce the itching, rashes, swelling and red bumps.
TOP 10 Effective Methods of Treating the Chigger Bites
There are various ways of dealing with chigger bites and the discomforts caused by them, I in case if you are looking for a way to how to get rid of chiggers. We have listed some of the most efficient methods in this article. So, all that’s left for you is select a remedy, study its procedure and implement it practically.
Hot shower for chigger bites
Take a hot shower bath as soon as possible, as the increase in body temperature causes the chiggers to leave the body and minimize the discomforts.
- Rub your body using a light antibacterial soap
- Wash your body using hot water
- Pat dry with a soft cotton towel. Please keep in mind that rubbing your body with the towel can increase the pain and lead to rashes.
- Apply a mild moisturizer or olive oil
Salt and Vicks vapor rub
Vicks vapor rub contains massive quantities of menthol, which soothes the skin from inflammation and relieves the person from itching. Moreover, due to its viscosity, it can hold the salt particles in place for longer periods. Salt, on the other hand, deals with chiggers and their bites.
- Take equal quantities of salt and Vicks vapor rub
- Mix both the ingredients well
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas of the skin
- Let it stay on for a whole night
- Wash off the application in the next morning
- Repeat the procedure for the next two nights
Baking soda for chigger bites
Baking soda possesses excellent anti-inflammatory properties and soothes the symptoms of the bites and rashes. The naturally acidic nature of the baking soda relieves the itching.
- Take some water in a pot
- Add 2 TBSP baking soda
- Mix both the ingredients till you get a thick paste
- On the bites affected area, apply this mixture and let it stay on to dry
- Rinse off the paste using lukewarm water
- For better results, use this paste every day until you get relief
Cold Compress for chigger bites
The cold compress slows down the transmissions of pain and itching signals between nerves and the brain.
- Take a thin towel and wrap a few ice cubes in it
- Press this wrapped ice towel on the affected area of the skin for about 10 minutes
- Repeat the application after regular breaks or when there is an urge to scratch the bites
Listerine mouthwash for chigger bites
Listerine mouthwash usually contains massive quantities of menthol, which when used on the bites affected skin provides relief from itching and burning. It also assists in the reduction of the resulting swelling of the skin.
- Wash your skin with fresh water
- Pat dry using a soft cotton towel
- Now, make a small ball using some soft cotton and dip it in mouthwash
- Directly apply it to the bites
Tea bags for chigger bites
Tea is a rich source of tannins which possess astringent properties and relieves the patient from redness and swelling caused by the bites. You can use any tea, i.e. herbal tea, green tea or black tea for the purpose.
- Take a cup of water and boil it
- To it, add a bag of herbal tea or green tea
- Remove the tea bag from the cup after letting it steep for a few minutes
- Let the bag cool down to the room temperature and apply it to the skin
- Keep it untouched for another few minutes
- Remove it
- For better results, repeat the procedure at least two times every day
The anti-irritant properties of oatmeal enable it to relieve the patient of the swelling and itching caused by the bites. Moreover, it prevents you from scratching the affected area.
- In a blender, take half cup of oatmeal
- Grind them
- Add some water and mix to get a smooth paste
- Apply the paste on the skin and let it stay on for a few minutes
- Wash the paste off using fresh water
- Pat dry your skin
- Use this mixture every day
As a rich source of magnesium sulfate and other salts, Epsom salt is extremely effective in treating the bites from chiggers. It draws the toxins out and soothes the skins.
- Take a cup of water
- Add 1 TBSP Epsom salt in it
- Mix well till the salt completely dissolves
- Apply this solution using a soft cotton ball on the affected skin areas
- Keep it there and let it dry
- For better results, use the solution at least two times every day
The direct application of the Aloe Vera gel to the bites affected areas of the skin prevents the infection from spreading in the body and heals the one that’s already begun. The Aloe Vera gel soothes swelling, redness, and irritation of the bites.
- Extract the gel of a split Aloe Vera leaf
- Generously apply the gel on the skin and keep it there until it gets dry
- Repeat the process several times every day
Apple Cider Vinegar
Using the apple cider vinegar prevents the bacteria from causing infection and balances the pH of the body.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in apple cider vinegar
- Place the cotton on the bites affected area
- Let it stay on for a few minutes
- Remove the cotton ball
- Repeat the procedure two times every day
Safety Precautions and Tips of Chigger Bites
- Coating the affected area by nail polish can help in the reduction of itching and the urge for scratching.
- As chiggers are highly active in summer and fall seasons, so ensure proper steps to avoid bites in these seasons.
- While strolling or hiking in the woods, it is better to stay away from bushes and other vegetations.
- If you decide to go deep into the woods, then do make sure that you are wearing long sleeves shirt and long pants.
- Apply a strong mosquito repellent.
- Treat your bed sheets as there might be chiggers in bed.
- Scratching the bite marks can lead to many other infections.
- In the case of excessive itching, apply anti-itch creams or calamine lotion. You can use an ace bandage also.
- You can also blow dry the affected areas of your skin by holding the dryer at least 5 centimeters away from the skin.
- Consult your doctor as they have experience and knowledge for identifying cchigger bites than usual mosquito bites, and particularly if you are experiencing headache, fever, and drainage of pus from the bites, vomiting or shortness of breath.
- Don’t forget to treat your yard with chemical or natural insecticides, once in a while.
- If pesticides fail at doing their job, then immediately contact a pest controller professional to treat trees, shrubs, and laws around your house, since that’s where do chiggers live.
- Keep the grass in your lawn short, by proper mowing.
- Avoid lying down or sitting on the park ground, as it makes you more prone to the bites.
Did this article prove helpful to you? Which remedy did you use for treating your chigger bites? If you some other solution in your mind, then can work more efficiently, then please don’t hesitate to share your suggestions with us. We also welcome your questions and opinions.