TOP 3 Most Effective Remedies of Mayonnaise for Head Lice
According to the analysis of Disease Control and Prevention Center, more than 12 million cases of head lice infestations appear every year, and the primary target of these manifestations are the children that are usually between 3 to 11 years. Moreover, with the passage of time, the head lice are becoming resistant to chemical treatments, which is exactly why most of the people prefer natural solutions like mayonnaise for head lice.
The head lice infestation occurs when one shares his things or makes a head to head contact with an already infected person. The main problem that arises, as a result of this infestation, is the need to scratch which, upon constant scratching, leads to other head infections and open pores. Apart from mayonnaise, other natural ingredients that one can use are alcohol, tea tree oil, and vinegar for lice infestation. But they are often utilized as a combinational component with mayonnaise, as it provides better results than its standalone applications. Furthermore, olive oil for head lice treatment can also be used.
What makes mayonnaise effective against head lice?
- Mayonnaise wards off the infestation by its creamy consistency obtained by combining and whipping vinegar, lemon juice, oil and egg yolk.
- The viscosity of this creamy texture is so high that when it covers the head, it does not let air to pass through which causes the lice and nymphs to suffocate and restricts their breathing. So, mites fall off quickly with a lice comb, whereas the larvae die.
- As head lice eggs have a hard-protective layer which mayonnaise cannot penetrate, the use of a good lice comb is advisable. Or you can use mayonnaise for head lice two times every week for four weeks and the nymphs, too, will die quickly, thus quickly eradicating the infestation.
Methods of using Mayonnaise for Head Lice
There are several methods of using mayonnaise, each method having its own set of ingredients and its time limits. You can use the mayonnaise as a stand alone remedy or with combination with other elements, but we recommend going with the mix as it can boost the level of treatment. All you need to do is read the mayonnaise lice treatment instructions given below and apply them.
Mayonnaise for Head Lice
- Implement the mayonnaise directly to your hair by saturating it from scalp to the ends of the hairs
- Tie your hair and use a shower cap to cover your head
- Let is stay on for the whole night
- In the morning, wash your hair with fresh water
- While your hairs are still wet, comb them thoroughly with the help of a lice comb
- Repeat this procedure two times every week
Coconut oil with Mayonnaise for Head Lice
Just like mayonnaise, the coconut oil is highly viscous and makes it incredibly harder for the lice to move freely. It suffocates the lice and prevents them from getting to your head again.
- Take a few drops of coconut oil and add mayonnaise in it
- Mix both the ingredients
- Apply this mixture in the same manner (from scalp to the ends of the hairs)
- Cover your head with a swimming cap or a shower cap
- Leave it there for the whole night
- Dry your hair strands using a blow dryer in the morning
- Leave it for another 30 minutes after applying a shampoo
- Comb your hairs thoroughly with a lice comb to remove the head lice
- Wash your hairs
- For better results, use this mixture three times every week
Tea tree oil, vinegar, and Mayonnaise for Head Lice
Tea tree oil is an excellent lice killer, thanks to its unusual pesticide properties. Vinegar, on the other hand, kills the head lice as it contains acetic acid. Moreover, it dissolves the gum produced by the nits and attach it to the hair shaft.
- Take ten drops of tea tree oil in a bowl
- Add ten drops neem oil and mix mayonnaise in it
- Also, add a dash of vinegar
- Mix all the ingredients well
- Apply this mixture from the scalp to the ends of the hairs
- Let it stay on for 2 hours
- Wash your hairs with fresh water using a shampoo
- Comb your hairs, while they are still wet, with lice comb to remove the dead lice
- Repeat this process two times every week
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Mayonnaise for Head Lice
- How long do you keep mayonnaise in your hair for lice treatment?
It is advisable to leave the application for at least 2 to 3 hours. According to doctors, to get useful results, you need to keep mayonnaise applied on your hair for 8 hours. In other words, the longer it stays there, the better the result it will provide you. Kids below five years of age, you mustn’t leave the application for greater than 5 hours.
- Should I leave the application overnight?
Yes, you can let the mayonnaise stay on your head, overnight. As the effectiveness of the mayonnaise reduces with the passage of time, there is a minute chance that the head lice become active again. In case if you are getting confused with the contradictory statements of the people, then it is usually better to test. So, if you get the expected results by leaving the mayonnaise overnight, then try leaving it just for 8 hours next time, but it is not advisable to go less than that
- Which type of mayonnaise is better for dealing with head lice?
Full fat mayonnaise is the best choice for removing the infestation of head lice. Experts advise not to try this process using low-fat mayonnaise, as the low content of fat, in this type of mayonnaise, is not suitable for suffocating the lice and all of the time and mayonnaise that you put in the practice, goes in vain.
Safety Precautions and tips for Getting the best results of Mayonnaise for Head Lice
- Never make a head to head contact with a person infested with head lice. Also, tell your children to do the same.
- Frequently clean out your combs and hair accessories.
- Even if a single individual in a family has head lice issue, ensure that the whole family is taking the treatment to prevent the infestation and to stop it from spreading further.
- To remove any surviving lice on bed sheets and furniture, treat them
- It is advisable not to try scarves and hats before purchasing them. Once you have purchased, immediately wash them using hot water to cleanse them of any possible infestation traces of head lice.
- In the case of children that are below the age of 5 years, the period for which you leave the application must not go beyond 5 hours.
- Never use a plastic bag or a plastic wrapper to cover the head, as these bags are hazardous and made up of toxic elements. So, they must not be placed on the heads of children.
- Use a tight-fitting swimming cap or a shower cap for covering your head.
- As mayonnaise turns toxic and rancid after a few hours of its application, so never leave even a single hair strand out of the cap that you are using to cover your head.
Did you find this article helpful? Which of the remedies mentioned above proved useful for you? If you have any question regarding the use of mayonnaise for head lice or have any other better solution in mind, then do tell us. Also, share your experiences and suggestions with us.