Learn How to Treat Ringworm with 6 Simple Yet Effective Proven Methods
Most of the time, people get confused with its name, but the ringworm is not a worm. In fact, it is a type of infection caused by a fungus “Tinea Corporis.” The experts at Mayo Clinic say that the need for prescriptions and medications can also be felt if the rash associated with it has not improved significantly in two weeks. This article helps the people who are looking for the methods of “how to treat ringworm” or “how to get rid of ringworm permanently.”
The name of the disease, “ringworm” refers to the appearance of the red rings on the affected site on the infected skin. The circular rash can be flat or raised and may cause the skin to look flaky, dry and red. As it is a fungal infection, it can only be treated with oral and topical antifungal drugs.
How to treat ringworm with topical drugs?
Topical treatments and medications are the primary concern of anyone who wants to know how to get rid of ringworm in 24 hours. Most of these medicines are present in the form of powders, creams, lotions, and ointments. It is usually better to look for active ingredients containing products, while purchasing an over-the-counter medicine, like Terbinafine, Ketoconazole, Miconazole, Butenafine, Tolnaftate, and Naftifine.
According to the Langone Medical Center of the New York University, Terbinafine is one of the most effective antifungal ingredients in dealing with ringworms. It is essential that you follow the directions prescribed on the products carefully; otherwise, these products can also pose a few side effects. If over-the-counter treatments do not work well, then the doctor may recommend you to use a stronger medication.
How to get rid of ringworm fast in humans using Terbinafine?
Lamisil, a highly acknowledged product based on Terbinafine, can help you get rid of the ringworm quickly. Unlike other medications, which can take up to four weeks in clearing up the infection, this treatment only needs a week, and often less. To use Lamisil, follow this procedure:
- From the market, purchase a tube of Lamisil
- Use water and mild soap to clean the infected areas of your skin
- Pat dry your skin using a paper towel (make sure not to rub it)
- Take and apply a small amount of the Lamisil cream to the ringworm affected area
- Gently massage this cream using your fingers to spread it evenly over your skin
- Let the applied cream and the ringworm open to the air. It is important not to cover it with anything, which is a requirement for the healing process to complete quickly.
- Use this cream two times a day for a week. Ensure that you do not skip the doses, or the treatment might take longer to complete.
Note regarding the use of Lamisil for how to treat ringworm:
- In case if you are allergic to Lamisil, stay away from it at all cost.
- If you are nursing or are pregnant, don’t hesitate to consult your doctor before you start using the cream.
- Don’t use more than one antifungal cream at a time.
How to Treat Ringworm with Iodine?
Iodine is an excellent antiseptic for anyone looking for “how to treat ringworm” and is commonly used by experts to kill the ringworm causing fungus. Topical iodine helps in relieving the person of the rashes caused by Tinea Corporis. Please note that iodine must not be ingested in any case. Moreover, children should use iodine under the supervision of adults.
- Thoroughly wash the affected areas of your skin with the fresh water and cleanse them. This step is necessary as it helps in the removal of dead skin cells and bacteria.
- Use an antibacterial soap or a mild cleanser for the purpose
- Pat dry your skin with the help of clean towel
- Take a small cotton ball and apply a minute quantity of 7% iodine tincture to it.
- Rub this cotton ball with iodine on the ringworm infected skin areas, until the skin gets saturated thoroughly.
- Let the iodine get absorbed by the skin, which will kill the fungus.
- Use a large enough bandage to cover the site. This prevents the transfer of iodine and the spread of fungus to the uninfected parts of the body through contact.
- Repeat this procedure thrice a day until you get rid of ringworm.
- As the ringworm is an extremely contagious disease, no one else should be using the same towel.
- The towels that are used for treatment must be made reusable by bleaching it afterward.
- You can keep the bandage removed, while you are at home but it is better to be careful to stop the fungus from spreading.
- The high doses of iodine can prove to be toxic.
- Never use the tincture of iodine for more than thrice a day.
- If you suspect any of the signs of iodine poisoning, i.e., vomiting, abdominal pain, mental confusion, the taste of metal in the mouth, excessive thirst and diarrhea, then consult a doctor immediately.
How to treat ringworm with oral drugs?
If the topical medications did not work out for you, then your doctor might recommend you to use an oral antifungal treatment to help you get rid of the ringworm infection. The consumable drugs usually contain the similar active ingredients as that of the topical products, but the concentration is different.
The oral drugs with antifungal properties are implemented to treat fingernails, toenails and scalp ringworms. As such drugs are consumed internally, they can lead to side effects. Some of the side effects are skin rashes, stomach upset, as well as the abnormal functioning of the liver.
Treatment Duration of ringworm and how long does ringworm last
According to Maryland’s Medical Center, the ringworm infection clears off in less than a month with the proper use of medications, as that’s how long does ringworm last. If the infection persists for more than four weeks, get yourself checked by a doctor so that he can prescribe a stronger drug. According to a report put forward by the Langone Medical Center, the choice of topical products that contain Terbinafine can help in the reduction of the treatment period to just one week.
How to treat ringworm with other treatment methods?
Apart from medications, you might need to perform a few additional steps to get rid of the ringworm infection. First of all, ensure to take all necessary steps to prevent the virus from spreading to other body parts or other people. For the purpose, don’t be careless while washing your bed sheets and pajamas daily.
The UMMC (University of Maryland Medical Center) advises the patients to avoid scratching the infected areas of the skin, as it assists the ringworm to spread to unaffected areas. Furthermore, thorough washing and drying of the skin can help in boosting the effectiveness of the drugs.
6 Essential and Helpful Prevention of ringworm you should try
If you have been a prey to a stubborn ringworm infection, then you will most likely want to prevent it from happening in future. This is particularly important for the person who is more prone to different fungal infections like athlete’s foot and jock itch.
- The primary preventive step to stop the disease is avoiding the direct contact with animals and people who are affected by ringworm.
- Never share your belongings and personal products of daily use like hairbrushes and towels.
- When sweating or exercising, prefer wearing the clothes that minimize the moisture.
- Let the air circulate through your feet by wearing perforated shoes.
- Always wear water shoes or sandals in the shower, in a locker room setting.
- Make sure that the towel that you are using is clean.
Which of the above-mentioned methods of “how to treat ringworm” did you use and which one proved useful to you? Do tell us and don’t hesitate to share your queries, suggestions, and experiences with us.