10 Most Effective Methods of Using Honey for Sore Throat
Are you among those 10 to 30% of people who suffer from a sore throat every winter and seasonal transitions? Whether your answer is yes or no, the fact about this disease is that it is extremely contagious and you can catch it up anytime. But don’t worry because there are many medical and natural remedies that one can make use of to get rid of the pain caused by a sore throat. Research proved that use of honey for sore throat relieves the patient from their pain much quicker than the medications without honey.
A sore throat causes the mucous membrane inflammation in the throat and leads to various issues like itchiness, pain, swallowing difficulty and hoarseness. It usually heals within 2 to 3 weeks on its own but one can use a natural solution like honey can help speed up the healing process significantly.
How useful is Honey in Providing Relief from a Sore Throat?
- Glucose-oxidase, a powerful antiseptic, and an anti-bacterial component is an enzyme present in honey. It helps to fight against bacteria causing the infection and thus, prevent it from spreading. These properties make honey the best medicine for a sore throat.
- Honey acts as a layer of protection on the dry throat, which then leads to soothing the pain and itchy feeling caused by a sore throat.
- As honey is a hypertonic osmotic agent and because of this property, it reduces the swelling in the throat by removing water from inflamed tissues.
TOP 10 Useful Methods of using Honey for Sore Throat
There are many ways to use honey for curing a sore throat, i.e. it can be used a standalone product or can be used in combination with other ingredients to add to the benefits.
Drink Honey tea
Just as mentioned above, there are many ways with which honey treats a sore throat. So, consuming 1 to 2 TBSP honey can help you get relief from a sore throat and the discomforts caused by it. But you can also make the recovery process, a little speedy, by mixing honey tea for sore throat.
- Mix half teaspoon of ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon of cayenne paper, half teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 TBSP honey in a pot.
- Add hot water to this mixture and mix well
- Drink this tea every night before going to bed
Use ginger, lemon, and honey
Lemon is a rich source of citric acid, which is effective against fighting the bacteria that causes a sore throat. Ginger, on the other hand, works as an expectorant and expels the mucus by loosening it within the respiratory system.
- Take some warm water in a cup
- Add a few ginger slices in the water and squeeze one or two lemons in it
- Mix till the mixture becomes consistent
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes
- Add a pinch of salt and 1 TBSP honey to the mixture
- Keep it for another 5 minutes
- Drink it two times a day
- Repeat the procedure until the symptoms disappear
Try a combination of honey and milk
Milk is a wonderful relaxing agent and can substantially reduce the itchy lesions and irritation in the throat.
- Take some warm milk in a cup
- Add 1 TBSP of honey in it
- Also, add a pinch of turmeric and mix
- Drink this mixture before you sleep every night
Use Turmeric and Honey for sore throat
Curcuminoids is a combination of powerful sore throat antibiotics, antiseptics, and anti-bacterial compounds and are the primary component of turmeric. They fight infection and reduce the inflammation in the throat.
- Take water in a pot (about 4 cups)
- Add 1 TBSP of turmeric in it
- Heat the mixture over low flame for about 1 -2 minutes
- Remove from the flame and add honey to it
- Also, squeeze and add a lemon
- Drink the mixture whenever the irritation increases
Try Garlic and Honey for sore throat
Garlic contains allicin (a potent Organo-Sulphur compound), which kills the bacteria which cause soreness in the throat. Moreover, garlic clears the mucous congested in the throat and soothes it.
- Take three cloves of garlic and mince them
- Take a half cup of honey and add the minced garlic to it
- Let the mixture steep and keep it covered for a whole night
- In a cup of hot water, add 1 TBSP of this mixture and stir well
- Drink the water three times a day to prevent soreness in the throat
Apple cider vinegar and honey
Apple Cider vinegar can quickly kill bacteria and germs, because of its acidic nature. So, when it enters the throat, it forms a protective coating which protects the throat from further attacks of bacteria and gems.
- Add 1 TBSP of honey and 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and stir it
- Heat the mixture
- Drink the mixture while it is still warm
- Repeat the procedure 2 to 3 times a day
Honey and Black Pepper
Black pepper contains high contents of vitamin C, antioxidants and flavonoids, which make respiration a whole lot easier by loosening the phlegm in throat.
- Roast 5 to 6 pieces of black peppers
- Grind them till they change to powder form
- Take a pinch of this powder and add it to half TBSP honey and eat the mixture
- Repeat the process as it prevents and cures the throat
Orange juice and honey for sore throat
Just like lemon, orange is also a rich source of citric acid which prevents a cough and sore throat. Furthermore, the vitamin C present in it assists in the elimination of the viruses and bacteria causing the problem.
- Take a glass of orange juice and heat it on a high flame
- Remove from the fire before the liquid reaches the boiling point
- Add 1 TBSP of honey to it and mix well
- While it is still warm, drink it
- Repeat the process 1 or 2 times a day
Ginger and honey
Thanks to the strong antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of ginger, it can prevent the infection, kill bacteria and fungi and provides relief to a sore throat.
- Take 1 TBSP of freshly prepared ginger juice and mix it with 1 TBSP of raw honey
- Eat the mixture or add the mixture to warm water and drink it
- Repeat the procedure 3 to 4 times every day
Cinnamon and Honey
Cinnamon is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent and heals the swelling caused by a sore throat. It also loosens the phlegm, clears the throat and reduces the inflammation in the throat.
- Take 1 cup of milk and heat it
- Remove from the flame before it reaches its boiling point
- Add half teaspoon of powdered ginger along with half teaspoon of cinnamon
- Add honey according to your taste
- Mix well and drink it
- Use this mixture before sleeping every night
Safety Precautions and Tips for the Maximum Effectiveness Of Honey for Sore Throat
- Companies process honey before packing it in bottles. As honey loses its useful content above the temperature of 40 degrees, so it is better to use raw and unprocessed honey.
- Never give honey to the children who are below the age of 1 year.
- Keep an eye on how much calories that you are taking as the honey itself contains a significant number of calories.
- If you are allergic to the components used as the ingredients in any of the methods mentioned above, then it is better not to follow that process.
If you have any queries regarding the use of honey for sore throat or any of the remedies mentioned above, please do tell us.