How to Use Honey to Get Relief from Anxiety – TOP 10 Ways
According to studies, more than 18 percent of the Americans are suffering from anxiety disorders, and most of the people among those use addictive medications that possess powerful side effects. Fortunately, there are several natural remedies available that one can use safely without having to worry about other things. Among these solutions, experts usually recommend the use of honey for anxiety.
Increased stress levels, thyroid problems, and hormonal imbalance some of the major factors leading to anxiety. It is not uncommon to feel anxious during stressful times, but if you are under the control of an overwhelming, persistent and uncontrollable anxiety, then that’s a bad thing for you. If one fails to give proper attention to this condition, then it can grow further and can cause clinical depression. Obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety, panic attacks and social tensions are few types of anxiety disorder.
How Honey Helps in Relieving Stress?
- Raw and unprocessed honey possesses potent anti-depressant, antinociceptive, anxiolytic and antidepressant properties.
- Honey tryptophan, the primary component in honey, promotes the serotonin production in the body. Serotonin is responsible for a healthy sleeping pattern and good mood.
- Honey contains high quantities of fructose and glucose, which, when absorbed into the blood, balances the sugar levels and helps to relieve the stress.
- Honey is great for mood elevation because of its excellent immune response enhancing capabilities.
How to Get Rid of Anxiety using These 10 DIY Home Remedies
If you or any of your close relative is suffering from anxiety, then all you have to do is just choose a treatment, read its step by step procedure, prepare the remedy and use it regularly.
Eat raw honey for anxiety
Consumption of raw honey, particularly before going to bed at night, prevents the release of cortisol and adrenaline in the body, and thus ensures a good night sleep by reducing the stress levels.
- Add a pinch of salt to 1 TBSP of pure honey
- Eat it before going to bed in night
- Repeat this process for an improved mood and developing a healthy sleeping pattern
Use ginger, lemon, and honey
Lemons contain a large number of negatively charged ions, which react with the positive ions upon entering the body and thus, energize it. The scent of a lemon is an excellent mood elevator. Ginger, on the other hand, promotes the production of dopamine and serotonin in the body. The scent of ginger also possesses powerful mood enhancing properties.
- Mix 2 TBSP of lemon, half TBSP of honey and 2 TBSP of ginger juice.
- Eat this mixture or mix it in lukewarm water and drink it
- Repeat this process three times a day
Milk and honey for anxiety
Vitamin D, present abundantly in milk, is also responsible for increasing the creation of serotonin within the body. So, drinking milk with honey mixed in it relaxes the brain.
- Take some milk in a pot and heat it over low flame for some time
- Add 1 TBSP honey in it
- Drink it before sleeping every night
Cinnamon and honey
Analysts say that 1 TBSP of cinnamon contains approximately 22% of the manganese dosage that we take in as diet. Manganese plays a significant role in the correct functioning of connective tissues, and honey calms nerves. Moreover, the use of honey and cinnamon for anxiety reduces the sugar level in blood.
- Take half TBSP of cinnamon powder and mix it in 1 TBSP of honey
- Take a glass of lukewarm milk and add the mixture to it
- Drink it every night before going to sleep
Green tea and honey
Green tea contains L-Theanine amino acids, which stimulate the production of alpha waves in the brain. The brain usually produces alpha waves when it thinks that the body is in the relaxed state. Moreover, it increases the serotonin and dopamine quantities in the body to induce the feeling of relaxation thus, elevating the mood.
- Take some water in pot and heat it till it reaches its boiling point
- Add a few leaves of green tea after taking it off the flame
- Mix 1 TBSP of honey to it
- Drink 1 or 2 cups daily
Apple juice, walnuts, and honey
Use of walnuts reduces the cortisol levels in the body as the walnuts contain significant quantities of Omega-3 fatty acids. The presence of Vitamin E and melatonin in walnuts protects the brain from mental decline and regulates sleep. As far as apple juice is concerned, it can help in reducing the inflammation and repairing the damage caused by the oxidation at cellular levels.
- Take an apple
- Cut it into small fine pieces
- Add those pieces in a glass of milk
- Also, add a few pieces of walnuts
- Blend the milk until it gets a smooth texture
- Add 1 TBSP of honey to the mixture
- Prepare and drink this milk every day
Almonds and Honey
The deficiency of selenium is one of the principal causes of anxiety, but the good thing is that it is present in abundance in almonds. Almonds also contain magnesium, vitamin E, and zinc, which are perfect for the cases of nonclinical depression and mild anxiety.
- Soak a few pieces of almond overnight (about 5 to 6 pieces will do)
- In the morning, peel off their skin
- Blend them till they get the shape of a fine paste
- Add 1 TBSP honey to the paste
- Eat this mixture during the breakfast or add this mixture to milk and drink it
Oranges, nutmeg, and honey
Being rich in vitamin C, oranges can assist in controlling the adrenaline glands and calming down the brain in stressful conditions. Even the smell of the orange peels is known to improve mood. Nutmegs are an excellent anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medication, as they reduce the risk of Alzheimer and improve the brain tissue network.
- Take a few oranges and extract their juice
- Add 1 TBSP of nutmeg powder and 1 TBSP honey to the juice
- Mix well and drink every morning during the breakfast
Rosemary and honey for anxiety
The use of rosemary and honey for stress reduces the cortisol level, which in turn leads to the reduction of anxiety.
- Take some water in a pot and boil it
- Add 2 TBSP of dried leaves of rosemary to it
- Keep the water like this for about 5 minutes
- Separate the tea by straining it from the mixture and pour it in a cup
- Add 1 TBSP honey
- Stir well and drink it
- Repeat the process every day for better results
Chamomile and honey
Chamomile aids in relaxation because of the chemicals, Apigenin and Luteolin, present in it. Studies proved that chamomile tea is an excellent mood enhancer and reduces the HAM (Hamilton Anxiety Ratings) significantly.
- Take a bowl of water
- Add 2 TBSP of chamomile tea leaves in powder form
- Boil it and keep it on the flame for about 5 minutes
- Strain the tea into another cup
- Add 1 TBSP of honey to the tea
- To get a relaxing mind, drink this tea every day
Safety Precautions and Tips for Getting Better Results While using Honey for Anxiety
- Never give honey the children of age less than one year
- People who are trying to lose weight must keep an eye on the quantities of honey they are taking in, as the use of too much honey can be heavy and congestive
- Use raw and unprocessed honey for better results
- Avoid eating fatty and fast foods
- Alleviate anxiety by getting a massage once in a while
- Exercise regularly
- Stay away from smoking and caffeinated beverages
- Remember to take small breaks between your work hours as it helps to prevent anxiety by calming the mind
Please do share your suggestions and experiences with us. If you have another remedy of using honey for anxiety in mind, then please do share it with us.