15 DIY Most Effective Home Remedies for Anxiety
As of today, more than 40 million adults are suffering from anxiety and its dangerous forms in the United States. I am not the one saying it, it was, in fact, an analysis presented by National Institute of Mental Health. As in higher stages, it can lead to digestive problems, cardiovascular issues, insomnia and high blood pressure; therefore, it is important to control it before it reaches that stage. If you are suffering from anxiety as well, then you can use some home remedies for anxiety and get rid of it.
Normally, anxiety is not dangerous at all. Instead, it helps us to stay aware of the dangerous and unfamiliar situations. It grows to be harmful when it starts taking over the lives of the people and causes many mental problems. But one can treat anxiety by taking remedies, practicing the techniques that help in relaxing the mind and taking in dietary supplements.
Most effective home remedies for anxiety
There are many natural remedies for anxiety and depression as well as fear, stress as well as panic attacks. Below we have listed some of the most useful home remedies for anxiety, and all that’s left for you is to select a treatment, follow its step by step procedure, relax your mind and enjoy a stress-free life.
Ginger tea for anxiety
Ginger contains massive quantities, of antioxidants which reduce the free radicals in the body and protects the brain from these radicals. It increases the person’s resilience to stress and reduces the adrenal fatigue. Moreover, it assists in keeping the level of neurotransmitters high, particularly dopamine and serotonin.
- Take some water in a pot (about 1 cup will do)
- Add 1 TBSP minced ginger to it
- Let it simmer for about 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid after taking the pot off the flame
- For adding taste to it, add some honey to the tea
- Drink the tea twice or thrice every day
Lemon Balm for anxiety
Lemon balm acts a perfect relaxant and tonic for nerves. It promotes sleep and reduces anxiety. When used with other natural anxiety supplements, i.e. green tea, lavender, catnip and other herbs, this balm works wonders in dealing with depression and stress.
- To a cup of boiling water, add 1 TBSP lemon balm
- Let the mixture steep for about 15 minutes after covering it
- Drink the tea at night before going to sleep
- Repeat the procedure every day
Lemon and honey
Honey possesses powerful response-enhancing capabilities, which gives a huge boost to the immune system and keeps brain active. Lemon, on the other hand, is a rich source of vitamin C and potassium, which speed up the metabolism in the body, improve digestion and control the blood pressure.
- Take half TBSP honey along with half TBSP powdered ginger and 1 TBSP lemon juice
- Continuously mix the ingredients until it gets a smooth texture
- Eat this mixture thrice a day as anxiety treatment without medication
Green Tea for anxiety
L-theanine and caffeine, present in green tea, help in improving the mood and relaxing the mind. Theanine restores the functionality of adrenal glands, causes the hypothalamus to release dopamine and serotonin and reduces stress levels.
- Add one green tea bag along with 4 to 5 basil leaves in a cup of hot water
- Strain the liquid after letting it steep for at least 2 minutes
- You can also add half TBSP honey and lemon juice to taste
- Mix all the ingredients well and drink the tea
- Repeat this procedure every day
Studies proved the use of chamomile among the anxiety patients, relieves them of the painful symptoms. The mild sedative properties of chamomile induce drowsiness and promote relaxation.
- To prepare the chamomile tea, add 2 to 3 TBSP dried chamomile in a cup of hot water
- Keep it aside for 3 minutes after covering it and strain the tea
- Add some honey to taste and stir it
- Drink this tea a few times every day
Rosemary for anxiety
The calming capabilities of rosemary help in stimulating the circulation of blood throughout the body enhance alertness and memory and relax the muscles responsible for respiration.
- Take some water in a pot
- Heat the water and to this hot water, add 2 TBSP dried rosemary
- Cover the water and let it steep for 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid from the mixture, drink it after mixing some honey to it
- For better results, repeat this procedure every day
Fennel is a rich source of many volatile oils and one of the most effective home remedies for anxiety. These oils cast an anxiolytic effect on the brain and body and ease the stress as well as deals with gastrointestinal symptoms (one of the primary triggering factors of anxiety).
- Take some water in a pot
- Boil it and add 2 TBSP fennel seeds in it
- Remove from the flame after letting it simmer for about 10 minutes
- Let the mixture cool down on its own and drink it
- Repeat the process every day
Epsom salt contains high magnesium content which helps in soothing and relaxing the nerves. It removes the toxins from the body.
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to your bath water
- Soak your body in the water for at least 15 minutes
- Pat dry your body
- Bath every day with this Epsom salt solution
- You can wash your body with fresh water after soaking in the solution if you want
Despite the presence of sodium in it, baking soda doesn’t increase the blood pressure level. Instead, it relaxes the mind by soothing the nerves.
- Add 1/3 cup of grated ginger and 1/3 cup of baking soda in your bath water
- Stay in the bathtub for about 15 minutes
- Have a nice shower after that
Oranges for anxiety
Oranges fight for the body against depression and boost immunity by calming the nerves.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg powder to a cup of orange juice, along with 1 TBSP of honey
- Mix all the ingredients well and drink it
- Repeat the procedure every day
Exercises to fight off Anxiety – Best TIPS and Home Remedies for Anxiety
You can also perform yoga along with taking in natural supplements for anxiety and depression and increase their effectiveness. Yoga promotes the neurotransmitters which are directly related to controlling the happiness.
It calms the mind just as alcohol does but without any side effects. It increases the quantity of healthier gray matter of the brain, which then ultimately leads to enhanced pain tolerance and emotional control.
- Breathing exercises
Deep breathing activates the parasympathetic nervous system and relaxes the mind and body. Performing these exercises assists in relieving the depression, anxiety and muscular tension.
Meditation promotes relaxation by training the brain and making it able to stop the stress signals coming towards it. Studies proved that meditating for at least 15 minutes every day leads to the decreased levels of cortisol.
- Daily Exercise
Ensure regular exercise as it increases the flow of positive-feeling endorphins in the body. It not just makes your body healthier but also your mental condition, as the healthy body is the home of a healthy brain.
- Outdoor relaxing
Morning is the best time for walking out of your house and relaxing your mind and body. At that time, the trees start producing fresh oxygen. So, move out of your house, have a walk or jog. You can even visit the ocean, garden or even your loved ones. Expose your skin to the sunlight in the morning, as it promotes the production of vitamin D in the body. Don’t forget to take a short break after regular intervals to stretch your body and relax.