9 Most Unexpected Home Remedies for Abscess Tooth – Best 10 Tips
The tooth abscess occurs when a tooth caries or a cavity is left untreated, and the defense mechanism of the body tries to trap and stop it from reaching the blood. As a result, the body starts collecting pus, to prevent the infection from spreading to the tooth’s inner layers. Caries or cavities form when a foreign substance tries to get to the tooth through a crack, chip or thin layer of enamel. As this problem leads to complications, it is better to try home remedies for abscess tooth to treat it.
Reasons leading to tooth abscess
Many modern commercial tooth products and dentists blame bacteria for any tooth related infection. But it is not entirely correct, as the fact that they are present everywhere at any time cannot be denied. If this were the case, then even kids would have lost their teeth despite their small age. In fact, the weak immune system and poor dental hygiene are the primary factors behind the decay of teeth.
Tooth Abscess Symptoms:
- Severe persistent toothache
- A spreading pain that grows out to the jaw, neck, and ears
- Sensitivity to hold and cold temperatures
- Swelling and redness in your jaw and face
- Pain while chewing
- Presence of foul tasting and smelling fluid in your mouth
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Discolored tooth
In some cases, you may also experience high fever, difficulty in swallowing or breathing. So, it is usually recommended to consult a doctor immediately, because if you keep on thinking that “will a tooth abscess go away on its own” and do nothing, then you are in danger.
9 Most effective home remedies for abscess tooth
If you are looking for a way of how to get rid of a tooth infection without antibiotics, then you are at right place. There are several methods of reducing the painful symptoms of abscess tooth pain relief fast.
Garlic for abscess tooth
The enormous quantities of sulfur-containing amino acids make garlic rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. As a result, garlic helps the patient in getting relief from the severe signs and sensitivity.
- Apply sliced clove from a fresh garlic or garlic paste on the infected tooth for a few minute and rinse it off using lukewarm water
- In a cup of water, add some garlic juice. Gargle with this mixture thrice a day.
- Making garlic a part of a salad or adding it to your cooking can enhance your immunes system and fight off the infection.
Clove Oil for abscess tooth
The antiseptic, anti-fungal and bactericidal capabilities of clove numb the aching nerve and wipe off the gems. According to Atlanta Dental Group, the chemical used by the dentists for the temporary relief from the tooth pain is clove oil. This oil keeps the pain in check until the permanent filling gets in to avoid the root canal. You can also use clove in its three primary forms – Ground, oil or whole.
- Clove Oil: On the affected tooth, gently rub the clove oil using a cotton ball and keep it there for as long as possible.
- Ground Clove: Mix mustard/sesame/coconut oil and ground clove. Use a small amount of this mixture on the affected tooth.
- Whole Cloves: Take two whole cloves and chew on them with the infected tooth. Spit the juice out of your mouth after letting it stay there for a few minutes.
Note: Regarding the use of clove as home remedies for abscess tooth: According to MedlinePlus, the clove oil should be used only for a short term.
Oil Pulling for abscess tooth
According to ancient Ayurveda, oil pulling can help you in maintaining oral health, as well as in the detoxification of mouth and teeth. Lipids, present in the oil, pull the bacteria out from the mouth and reduce their ability to stick to the walls of the oral cavity.
- Take a TBSP of coconut oil in your mouth.
- Pull it around or swish through your teeth. Make sure not to swallow it.
- Spit it out after keeping up this procedure for about 20 minutes
- Thoroughly rinse your mouth using fresh water
- Repeat this process twice or thrice a day
Peppermint oil for abscess tooth
The antiseptic properties of peppermint oil assist in dealing with the bacteria that causes the tooth abscess. Furthermore, it also possesses pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties to relieve the patient of the pain.
- Using a cotton ball or your fingers, massage on the affected tooth in a gentle manner
- Use peppermint oil at least three times a day
- You can also use crushed leaves of peppermint on the affected areas
Warm Salt Water for abscess tooth
Thanks to the disinfectant and antimicrobial properties, the warm salt water is one of the best home remedies for abscess tooth. It helps in reducing the inflammation and pain associated with the tooth abscess. Moreover, it assists in draining the pus out, thus reducing the risks of infection spreading.
- To a glass of warm water, add a TBSP of salt
- Mix it well until you get a dilute mixture
- Now, take some of the solutions in your mouth and gargle
- Spit the solution out of our mouth
- Repeat this procedure twice every day
Herbal Tea Bag for abscess tooth
Tea is a rich source of tannins, which possess astringent properties and assist in clearing the infection by flushing the pus out and absorbing the toxins. The caffeine, in the tea, reduces the swelling and pain.
- Before going to sleep, put a wet tea bag on the affected tooth
- Let it stay there for the whole night
- Remove the tea bag in the next morning
- Rinse off using salty water or a solution of salt
- Regularly repeat this remedy to get rid of abscess and pain
Oregano Oil for abscess tooth
Oregano oil helps in the reducing of swelling and relieving the person from the pain, as it contains thymol and carvacrol, which are two highly powerful compounds with potent anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- On the infected tooth, apply a few drops of oregano oil
- You can also add a few drops of oregano oil and a half cup of water and rinse your mouth with this solution.
- For better results, use this remedy four times every day
Potato for abscess tooth
Potatoes, being alkaline, act as an antiseptic. The acidic nature of the pulp of potato removes the infected material and dead skin cells. Potassium, also present in potatoes, speeds up the healing process.
- Before going to sleep, place a fresh potato slice between cheek and the infected area
- Let it stay there for the whole night
- Remove it in the next morning
- Thoroughly rinse your mouth with cold water
- Repeat this procedure on the “as needed” manner
Sesame Seeds for abscess tooth
The antibacterial properties of sesame seeds efficiently reduce the inflammation and pain, thus treating the tooth abscess.
- Take some water in a pot
- Boil this water
- To this boiling water, add 4 TBSP of sesame seeds in it
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes
- Let the mixture to cool down after removing from the flame
- Apply the water on the affected tooth using a cotton ball
- Use this remedy several times a day
Safety precautions and tips for home remedies for abscess tooth
- The increased intake of sugar leads to a quicker tooth decay, as the bacteria can thrive on sugar. This is why doctors recommend drinking healthier thirst-quenchers rather than sugar-excessive drinks.
- To avoid tooth enamel erosion, sip acidic drinks with the help of straw instead of drinking them directly.
- Always rinse your mouth with fresh water after acidic beverages.
- Replace your toothbrush after using it for three months. Also, don’t forget to floss your teeth regularly.
- Avoid drinking coffee, as the caffeine present in it stops the flushing of food debris and bacteria from the mouth, by drying it. This leads to a quicker tooth decay.
- Smoking damages the teeth and gum, thus making them an easier target for bacteria to infect. Moreover, it also erodes the enamel present on the tooth.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated, as it makes the saliva to keep flowing freely in the mouth. Saliva assists in the steady cleansing of the mouth and prevent the bacteria from getting attached to your teeth.
- Whether you need home remedies or the dental help, depends on the severity of the case. In some cases, dentists prescribe using abscessed tooth antibiotics and surgical drainage. In severe cases, the tooth is removed.
Which of the home remedies for abscess tooth mentioned above have you used? Did we forget to mention an excellent treatment, which was worth mentioning? Please do tell us and share your queries, experiences, and suggestions with us.