TOP 7 Effective DIY Home Remedies of Ginger for Motion Sickness
Not everyone loves long rides and trips, as some people experience motion sickness particularly during long car trips and bumpy flights. If you are among such people, then you can relieve the symptoms of motion sickness through the use of anti-emetics and anti-histamines. But these solutions come with different side effects, which can be avoided by using a natural solution, i.e. ginger for motion sickness.
How effective is ginger in dealing with motion sickness?
- Ginger contains enormous quantities of gingerols and shogaols which inhibit the trigger zones of chemoreceptors. This prevents vomiting and reduces nausea.
- Ginger helps to alleviate the symptoms of vomiting and nausea by slowing down the intestinal spasms.
- Ginger stimulates the salivary secretions by affecting the parasympathetic systems. These secretions, then, in turn, neutralize the acidic content present in the stomach, which ultimately sues nausea by preventing the acid reflux.
- Ginger aids in the digestion process by relaxing the lining in intestines which helps the food to move more smoothly through the digestive tract. It also helps the patient of stomach ache in relieving their pain.
- Free radicals, produced and present in the body, give rise to many other non-useful products through oxidation processes in the intestines. These products usually result in vomiting and nausea. Ginger helps to remove these radicals through reductive processes.
Methods of treating motion sickness using ginger
Ginger is extremely useful in fighting against motion sickness; even one uses it as a standalone remedy or as ginger pills for morning sickness. But most of the people prefer taking it as a combination of other ingredients to enhance the effectiveness.
Raw ginger root for motion sickness
Consuming fresh ginger root is one of the simplest and cheapest ways to get rid of and treat motion sickness.
- Take a few pieces of ginger root
- Peel it after washing it thoroughly with fresh water
- Cut and chop it into small fine pieces
- Store in a tiny jar or box and take it with you whenever you are on a journey
Ginger tea for motion sickness
Ginger tea has some other advantages too, other than just helping in getting rid of motion sickness.
- Wash a few pieces of ginger root
- Peel it and chop it into fine pieces
- Put all these cut pieces in a pot
- Take enough water in another pot
- Place this pan on flame and heat it till it boils
- Add this boiling water to the chopped ginger pieces
- Let it stay there for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You can also add some lemon juice in this tea to give it a better taste
- Drink it before setting out on a journey and refrigerate the rest of the liquid.
Ginger juice for motion sickness
Just like eating ginger or drinking ginger tea, one can use ginger juice or ginger ale for motion sickness.
- Take a few pieces of raw ginger
- Chop them into small pieces and blend them by using a juicer, blender or a mixer.
- Pour this juice in a bottle and store in a refrigerator
- Now, whenever you are ready to set on a journey, take out 1 TBSP of ginger juice from the bottle and add it to a glass of lukewarm water
- Mix and drink it
- If you don’t feel comfortable with the taste of ginger, then you can add one TBSP lemon juice to the glass of ginger juice
In the case, if the fresh ginger root is not available, then you can use the dry powdered Ginger for motion sickness.
- Take a glass of water
- Add half TBSP ginger powder to this water
- Mix well and drink before starting your journey
Chewing a ginger pill or candy is one of the most efficient methods to get rid of nausea. As you eat the candy, the salivary glands continuously secrete saliva at a constant rate. This saliva neutralizes the acid produced by the stomach and reduces vomiting and nausea. To prepare best ginger candy for nausea, follow this step by step procedure:
- Take 1 pound of fresh ginger
- Wash them thoroughly, peel and chop them to think slices
- Take some water in a pan
- Add the ginger slices to this water and boil it
- Let it stay there on the low flame for about 30 to 40 minutes, till the ginger pieces start shining
- Strain the liquid into another pot
- Add an equal amount of sugar as that of the remaining ginger in the pan
- Now, to this mixture, add the drained off water
- Let the mixture boil with constant stirring for about 20 to 25 minutes
- As a sufficient number of crystals start appearing, remove from the flame
- Take out the crystals and let them dry by placing them on a wax paper
- Once cooled down, they are ready to use as chewable ginger tablets or candies, and you can store them in an airtight jar
Ginger with Chamomile and black horehound
Black horehound helps in treating stomach ailments and relieving the motion sickness symptoms, as it contains essential volatile oils. Similarly, Chamomile assists in dealing with anxiety caused nausea and digestive upsets.
- To 2 TBSP grated ginger, add 1 TBSP of chamomile and 1 TBSP of black horehound
- Take some water in a pot and add this mixture to the water
- Mix it well
- Boil this mixture till its volume reduces to half
- Strain the tea and let it cool down
- Drink it half an hour before setting out on your journey
Ginger Cookies for motion sickness
The use of ginger cookies the perfect option for those who don’t like the taste of ginger. To prepare ginger cookies, follow this procedure:
- To a glass bowl, add 2 TBSP baking powder, one and a half TBSP ground cinnamon, four and a half cups of flour, half TBSP salt and 4 TBSP ginger powder
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Take enough butter in another pot and beat it till it gets the creamy texture
- Add two eggs to the butter and beat well
- Similarly, with constant beating, add 2 cups of sugar to it
- Also add a half cup of molasses along with the flour, prepared in the first two steps
- Take approximately 2.5 inches balls out of this dough
- Sugar coat these balls by rolling them in a bowl containing sugar
- Bake the balls in a preheated oven at a temperature of 170 degrees centigrade for about 15 minutes
- Place the cookies on a wire rack to let them cool down
Safety Precautions and tips for Getting the Best Results Using Ginger for Motion Sickness
- In case if you are traveling by car, try to sit on the front seats rather than back seats and keep your mind distracted and tricked to believe that you aren’t moving at all.
- Open the window, let the fresh air in and take deep breaths.
- Never travel with an empty stomach. Always keep a packet of nuts and snacks with you, as the empty stomach will increase the chances of motion sickness and will lead to the sensation of nausea.
- Lactating or pregnant women should consult their doctor before using any ginger based remedy. The same goes for the children that are less than the age of three years.
- You can use any form of ginger, i.e. powder, capsules, tea or even raw form, for dealing with the situation of motion sickness.
- The motion sickness symptoms usually end once the motion stops. But if you feel uneasy for longer periods of time, i.e. more than 72 hours, consult your doctor immediately.
- If you think ginger capsules aren’t compatible with your gastrointestinal tract, then you can use the coated ginger capsules, as these coatings prevent the digestion of herbs till it gets to the digestive tract.
- If you are planning to be on a trip for longer periods of time, then to be on the safe side, start using ginger remedies at least 24 hours before the departure.
- Keep a few ginger pieces with you during the journey.
If the remedies mentioned in the article have helped you in making your trip sickness free, or if you think we forgot to mention a major solution regarding the use of Ginger for motion sickness, do tell us. We also welcome suggestions from our readers.