How to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Loss – Top 10 Effective Ways
According to research done at the American Academy of Dermatology, it is normal for a human to lose 50 to 100 hairs on a daily basis. But if the count goes beyond this range and the hairs start shedding abnormally, and then it is a matter of concern. Hairs make an important part of our personality, that’s why most people use remedies and treatments to prevent hair loss. Among these remedies, the use of coconut oil for hair loss is quite a popular one.
Anagen effluvium, male pattern and female pattern baldness, alopecia aretra and telogen efflium are among the most common types ofhair loss disorder and the factors that usually trigger such disease are stress, poor nutrition, deficiency of vitamins, changes in hormonal conditions as well as other medical situations.
Nearly all of the above-mentioned, hair loss patterns can be treated and controlled by changing the lifestyle habits, staying away from stress and keeping a good eye on a proper diet. But as one can anticipate, these methods usually take some time, before they start showing their results. So, experts often recommend making use of natural remedies like coconut oil.
How Coconut Oil helps in preventing hair loss?
- Coconut oil is a rich source of vitamins, particularly vitamin K and vitamin E, iron and antioxidants. All these nutrients assist in repairing and nourishing damaged follicles of hairs and increase their strength.
- Moreover, it stops the breakage of hair strands, thanks to the lauric acid, present in coconut oil, which binds itself to the protein of the hair.
- The antibacterial and antiviral properties of coconut oil assist in fighting the scalp infection, which is one of the common reasons behind hair loss.
- Blood circulation in the hair follicles can be improved tremendously, as coconut oil has amazingly powerful penetration ability.
10 ways you can use coconut oil for hair loss with maximum effectiveness
There are several ways to apply coconut oil, as one can use it directly or if he prefers, he can use it in combination with other oils to gain additional benefits. Of all the options available, the following methods are the most efficient ones:
- Massage with coconut oil
As mentioned before, coconut oil has excellent penetration abilities, and with massage, these capabilities increase. So, it quickly penetrates the hair follicles and enables an improved flow of blood by removing the clogs and blockages.
- For the purpose, take 2 TBSP of coconut oil and warm it.
- Apply it gently and carefully all over the hairs (from their root to tip) and the scalp.
- Now, massage gently for about 5 minutes with fingertips.
- Leave it alone for about an hour after wrapping the head with a towel
- Shower and make sure that the shampoo, which you use, is of mild strength
- Repeat this procedure, for about, three times a week
- Use a combination of Castor Oil and Coconut Oil
Castor oil belongs to the family of oils which are rich in ricinoleic amino acids and omega-9 fatty acids, which are a fundamental requirement for a healthy and well-nourished scalp. Thus, it helps in promoting the growth of new hair.
- Mix equal quantity of coconut oil and castor oil (usually 2 TBSP or greater, depending upon the hair length)
- Moisten your hair properly before the application of the mixture
- Apply on the scalp and massage for 5 minutes
- Keep it like this for few hours after you wear a shower cap or wrap a towel around your head
- Wash up your hair again and be sure to use a mild shampoo
- Repeat this process once a week
- Use curry leaves and coconut oil
Curry leaves are an efficient source of beta carotene, amino acids, and antioxidants. They help in preventing early graying of hair, repairing the roots, reducing the hair fall and promoting the hair growth.
- Pour 3 to 4 TBSP of coconut oil in a frying pan and heat it
- Wash and dry a handful of curry leaves
- Add these leaves to the oil and fry
- Turn off the stove once the leaves turn black
- Strain the oil and let it cool down at room temperature
- Apply it gently and carefully to the scalp, and massage for about 5 minutes
- Shower after a few hours
- For better results, repeat this procedure for 1 to 2 times a week
- Use Camphor and Coconut Oil
Just like coconut oil, camphor also possesses significant antibacterial properties and can help protect the scalp from infection causing bacteria. To use a proper combination of camphor and coconut oil, follow this procedure step by step:
- Take a few camphor blocks and crush them (about 2 TBSP)
- Take a saucepan and heat coconut oil in it (about half a cup)
- Add the camphor powder to the pan and dissolve it by stirring it
- Once the powder gets fully dissolved, take the pan off the stove
- Let the solution cool down to the room temperature
- Apply the solution to hair and scalp, softly and thoroughly
- Use a mild shampoo for washing your hairs, after massaging for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Fix a day of the week to repeat the process
- Coconut Oil and Lemon
Lemons are the perfect source of vitamin C, calcium and magnesium. Moreover, the limonene present in this fruit works great as an anti-dandruff and antibacterial.
- Take a ripe lemon and squeeze it in a small bowl
- Take 2 to 3 TBSP of coconut oil and mix it with the lemon
- Massage for a few minutes using the prepared mixture
- Seal it with a towel or a shower cap and leave it like this for a whole night
- Wash off the mixture with water
- To get better results, repeat the process every other week
- Eggs and Coconut Oil
Eggs provide most of the essential minerals like iodine, selenium, potassium, and zinc. So, they prevent the hair fall by strengthening and nourishing the scalp and hairs.
- Take an egg and beat in a bowl
- Add 1 TBSP of honey and coconut oil to the egg and mix
- Apply this mixture to hair and scalp and cover with a towel or a shower cap
- Leave for a few hours and then, rinse with fresh water
- Coconut Oil and Ginger
Ginger is an excellent conditioner and an anti-dandruff because of its high contents of magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and vitamins. So, in simple words, you can Regrow thinning hair with coconut oil and ginger combination.
- Prepare some fine paste by grinding some ginger and squeeze out its juice by using a small spoon
- Mix this juice with 2 to 3 TBSP of coconut oil
- Use the mixture for massage of the scalp
- Keep the hairs like this for about 2 to 3 hours before washing it off
- Repeat this process in every week
- Coconut oil and Onions
Studies also proved that the deficiency of Sulphur could also lead to hair loss. That’s where onions come in, providing your hairs with the substance needed to form keratin, which is an essential component for the growth of the hairs.
- Mix 1 TBSP of onion juice with 2 TBSP of coconut oil
- Gently massage with this mixture for about 5 minutes and leave it for about 1 hour
- Make sure that you use a mild shampoo for showering
- Do remember to repeat the process at least one time in a week
- Coconut Oil and Aloe Vera
- Take equal parts of Aloe Vera and Coconut oil and mix them
- Heat the mixture for about 30 minutes on low-heat flame
- Cool it down to room temperature
- Apply it as a pack to cover your hair and scalp and leave it there for some time
- Use fresh water and shampoo to wash it off
- For every two weeks, repeat this process
- Coconut oil and Olive oil
Most of the time, people make different comparisons like coconut oil for hair vs. olive oil to prevent hair fall, but the fact is that both, the olive oil and coconut oil, are usually used for moisturizing purposes. As olive oil contains high strength antioxidants, it can help fight against bacteria and fungi that cause infection in the scalp. When used in combination with coconut oil, it can protect the hair from flaking and drying.
- Take equal ratios of olive oil and coconut oil
- Mix them and thoroughly apply the mixture to the scalp and hair follicles
- Keep up the massage for about 5 minutes
- Use a mild shampoo to wash it off
- Use this mixture 1 to 2 times a week
Tips for better results and safety precautions of Coconut Oil for Hair Loss Treatment
- For efficient and better results, always make use of virgin coconut oil which smoothly helps in Hair shining.
- You can use it for cooking or also add it to your diet
- Cover your hair properly and avoid your head from getting polluted
- Avoid using harsh or extreme chemicals, as they can damage the hair
- The same goes for hair styling tools
- Coconut oil causes hair loss also if it is not compatible with your skin type.
- Always remember to air-dry your hair rather than using a towel
- Do not comb your hair, while they are wet
- Exercise regularly and keep your diet balanced
In short, if you are suffering from hair loss and are concerned about it, then do give coconut oil for hair loss a try. Also, if you have any other combination of coconut oil with other ingredients in mind, then please share with us. We would like to hear from you.