How to Get Rid Of Psoriasis With Coconut Oil – TOP 8 Ways
Studies reveal that more than 2% of US population is suffering from psoriasis and the number is increasing every year. In this disease, inflamed red patches appear on the skin and make the skin look ugly. Unfortunately, psoriasis Is incurable, for the time being, but its symptoms, i.e. itchiness, skin flakes, and dryness, can be treated using natural remedies like coconut oil for psoriasis.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease and occurs most commonly on back, scalp, neck, arms, and knees. Normally, the rates of cell regeneration and cell destruction are equal. But in the people suffering from this disease, the cells regenerate at a much higher rate than they get destroyed which causes accumulation of new cells on the skin surface and in chronic cases, these masses can lead to psoriatic arthritis.
What makes coconut oil for Psoriasis is really useful for treating psoriasis?
- Coconut oil is a rich source of fatty acids. These acids, being the same type as those present between the skin layers, are highly absorbable by our skin. So, coconut oil keeps our skin smooth and moisturized. Moreover, it loosens the skin flakes.
- It doesn’t get clogged in the skin pores and thus, doesn’t cause any allergic reaction, even if you have extra sensitive skin.
- The monoglyceride, the primary component of coconut oil, possesses incredible antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. It prevents psoriasis causing viral, fungal and bacterial infections.
- Kinetin, a plant hormone abundantly available in coconuts, assists in promoting the cell division in the human body. Moreover, being an antioxidant, it reduces the free radicals produced in the body.
- Coconut oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent and reduces psoriasis caused inflammation.
TOP 8 Unique Methods of using Coconut Oil for Psoriasis
There are several methods of using coconut oil for psoriasis, i.e. you can apply coconut oil directly, try it as a combinational ingredient or may use coconut water for psoriasis. However, we have already listed the most efficient methods and are ready for use. All you have to do is, select a method, read its step by step procedure and apply it.
Please note that you can safely use coconut oil for psoriasis of the scalp, feet, legs, nails, hands, as well as pustular and penile psoriasis. Moreover, there is no age limit in its application, as it can be used for adults and kids both.
- Coconut oil
Consuming the coconut oil directly, assists in improving the immune system of the body and strengthens the healing capacity by balancing the ratio of unsaturated and saturated fats in the body.
- Take 2 to 4 TBSP coconut oil
- Consume it directly or use it as an alternative option for butter
- You can also apply a few drops of coconut oil in the affected areas of the skin for about three times every day. After application, leave it on till it dries completely.
- Honey, beeswax and coconut oil
Honey helps in smoothening the skin and loosening psoriasis by moisturizing the skin and locking the moisture in it. Beeswax, on the other hand, possesses potent anti-inflammatory properties and reduces itchiness, swelling, and redness.
- Take 2 TBSP coconut oil in a bowl
- Add 1 TBSP melted beeswax along with 1 TBSP honey in it
- Mix the ingredients well
- Gently apply the mixture to the affected areas of your skin.
- Let it stay on for a few minutes
- Use lukewarm water to wash the mixture off
- Repeat the process regularly
- Beeswax and coconut oil cream
This mixture possesses almost the same capabilities as the above combination (obviously minus the benefits of honey). The plus point of using this combination is that you can create and store it safely at least for a month.
- Take 1 ounce of coconut oil and melt it in a pot by putting on flame
- In another bowl, take 1 ounce of beeswax and heat to melt it
- Remove both the pots from the flame
- Combine both the liquids to form a consistent mixture
- Pour this mixture into another container
- Let this mixture cool down and solidify on its own
- Take out enough mixture and apply on the affected areas of your skin. (Store the rest of the mix.)
- Repeat the procedure multiple times a day
- Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil
Thanks to the disinfecting properties that the apple cider vinegar possesses, it helps in easing the pain and itching, reducing the swelling and redness, and dissolving the loose flakes on the skin surface.
- Take 1 part of apple cider vinegar and mix it with two parts of coconut oil
- Gently apply this mixture on psoriasis affected areas of the skin as a mask
- Let the mask stay on for about 20 to 30 minutes
- Pat dry after washing with fresh water
- For better results, use this mixture two times every day
- Turmeric and coconut oil
The antioxidant, antimicrobial and immunomodulatory capabilities of turmeric, because of the presence of curcumin, enable it to inhibit the vague responses of the immune system which gives rise to psoriasis.
- Take 1 TBSP coconut oil in a bowl
- To the oil, add half TBSP turmeric
- Mix both the ingredients well
- On the affected areas of your skin, spread the mixture
- Keep it there untouched for 20 minutes
- Wash the mixture off with lukewarm water
- Pat dry your skin
- Repeat this process every day
- Coconut oil bath
Taking a bath using coconut oil helps in treating psoriasis on difficult to reach areas.
- In your bath water, add 2 to 3 TBSP coconut oil
- Both normally or soak in it for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Pat your skin dry
- After taking a bath, apply coconut oil on the affected areas of skin
- For better results, repeat this procedure every day
- Camphor and coconut oil
The antiseptic and antifungal properties of camphor are incredibly active in dealing with psoriasis.
- Take a pinch of camphor and add it to one cup of cold compressed coconut oil
- Mix well till the mixture attains a uniform consistency
- Apply and gently massage for about half hour
- Wash it with lukewarm water or take a shower using lukewarm water
- Pat dry your body
- Use this mixture once in every two days
- Lavender oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil
The combination of avocado oil and vitamin B12 is a highly effective combination in treating psoriasis. As the increased level of stress is one of the prime causes for psoriasis triggering, the lavender oil’s sedative properties help in relaxation of mind and reduction of stress, thus reducing the chances of psoriasis.
- Take equal quantities of lavender oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil and mix them
- Apply this mixture on psoriasis affected areas of the skin using a cotton ball
- Wash the mixture off using fresh water after letting it stay on for a few minutes
- Repeat this procedure every day
Safety Precautions and Tips of Coconut oil for Psoriasis
- If you think you are allergic to coconut oil, then avoid using it as it may worsen the situations.
- It is better to try using patch test before using regular treatments.
- Never use harsh chemicals stuffed lotions, shampoos and soaps, particularly the one which contain paraben and lauryl sulfate.
- Scratching the areas affected psoriasis can worsen it.
- Reduce the usage of poultry, pork and red meat.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Exercise regularly and stick to the psoriasis natural treatment diet to increase the strength of your immunity system.
- Rather than using chemical moisturizers, go for cocoa butter, shea butter or coconut oil for moisturizing your skin.
- Take in high fiber foods, antioxidant rich foods, vitamin A, vitamin D, probiotics and omega three supplements as they prevent psoriasis from spreading and improve your immune system.
- In case if you find yourself in the situation questioning yourself, “what kind of oil is good for psoriasis?” then always opt for extra virgin cold compressed coconut oil
Do tell us which remedy did you use for treating your psoriasis. Also, if you have any solution in mind that can work better than the treatments mentioned above or if you have any question regarding the use of coconut oil for psoriasis, don’t hesitate to ask us.