7 DIY Most Effective Remedies of Coconut oil for Eczema
According to a study, more than 28 million people in the United States are suffering from eczema. Eczema is an incurable disease, which means there is no way to treat it permanently, but one can reduce its symptoms to maximum extent through the use of natural remedies like coconut oil for eczema.
It is the responsibility of the immune system to protect our body from diseases and infection, which however get reactive to different environmental factors, like soap, allergens, dust and many others. This situation, then, leads to the flaky, dry, itchy and red skin.
What makes coconut oil useful against eczema?
- As eczema affected skin cannot hold moisture in its cell for longer periods, which is, exactly, why doctors recommend them to use oil based moisturizers, as they form a barrier around the skin and prevent the excessive loss of water. Coconut oil possesses remarkable hydrating properties. It acts a natural alternative to these prescribed moisturizers and without causing any damage to the skin.
- Coconut oil has immunomodulation capabilities, which enable it to suppress over active immune system.
- Coconut oil contains massive quantities of lauric acid which kill Staphylococcus bacteria, after being converted to monolaurin in the human body.
- Environmental factors like climate¸ sweating, detergents, pollen and weather, can trigger the inflammation on the skin affected by eczema. Coconut oil prevents these inflammations and restricts many other symptoms that might appear because of them.
- Coconut oil is a rich source of MCTs (Medium-Chain Triglycerides) and MCFA (Medium-Chain Fatty Acids), which penetrate deep into the skin layers, nourish the connective tissues and strengthen them.
Methods of using coconut oil for eczema
Coconut oil works wonders in treating eczema, and there are many methods of using it. Most of the people usually get concerned about how long does it take for coconut oil to cure eczema even before using a remedy. Please note that it does take some time for the results to appear. For now, all you have to do is select a solution, read its step by step procedure, follow it and repeat it till you get the desired results.
- Direct application of coconut oil
The direct use of coconut oil eczema affected skin assists in moisturizing it and preventing it from getting dry. You can also use coconut oil for eczema on scalp.
- Take some coconut oil and spread a thin layer of this oil on your skin
- Let it stay there until it gets absorbed completely
- For soothing effect, you can apply it immediately after taking a bath
- Repeat the process three times every day or every night before going to bed (but you will have to leave it overnight).
- Coconut oil bath
This remedy is useful as it assists the coconut oil to reach the places, where it is usually hard to apply, i.e. in your back or buttocks.
- Add a cup of coconut oil to your bathtub filled with lukewarm water
- Mix the water well
- Soak your body in it
- Stay in the water for about an hour
- Pat dry your body with the help of a soft cotton towel
- Repeat the procedure every day
- Vitamin E oil and coconut oil
The combination of vitamin E oil and coconut oil is safe for use, even for the people who have much sensitive skin.
- Add 2 TBSP rosemary oil along with 2 TBSP vitamin E oil and 6 TBSP coconut oil in a jar
- Cover the pot using a tight lid and shake it well
- Apply this mixture on eczema affected areas of your skin two times every day
- Lavender oil and coconut oil
- Take two drops of lavender oil
- Add 1 TBSP coconut oil to it
- Mix both the ingredients well
- Apply this mixture on your skin
- Let it get absorbed by the skin by leaving it for some time
- Repeat this procedure twice every day
- Anti-itching ointment
The moisturizing properties of Shea butter work amazingly in dealing with the symptoms of eczema.
- Take 1 TBSP of Shea butter and mix it with a few drops of coconut oil
- Spread a thin layer of this mixture on your skin
- For better results, use this mixture twice a day
- Coconut oil scrub
The use of coconut oil as a scrub helps in exfoliating the dead skin cells from the surface of the skin and assists our skin in the production of natural oils.
- Mix 2 parts of brown sugar with 1 part of coconut oil
- Massage with this mixture for a few minutes in a circular pattern
- Wash the scrub off using lukewarm water
- Repeat this procedure three times every week
- Coconut oil soothing butter
- Melt 4 TBSP jojoba oil and 2 TBSP beeswax with the help of a double boiler
- As they completely melt down, add 6 TBSP coconut oil to them with continuous stirring
- Lower the flame and add 2 TBSP Shea butter to it
- Let the butter melt down
- Remove the mixture well after mixing the ingredients well
- Let it cool down till its temperature gets equal to that of room temperature
- Pour the mixture into a mixer
- Mix it many times until the mixture gets a foamy appearance
- Transfer this liquid to a container and add two drops of lavender oil along with constant stirring
- Take a minute quantity of the liquid from the container and apply it to eczema affected areas of your skin
- Let the application get completely dry
- For better results, use this mixture twice every day
- Eczema Moisturizer
Oatmeal possesses excellent emollient properties which make the skin soft, nourish it, keep it hydrated and supple.
- Take ¼ cup of oats in a blender
- Grind them until you get a fine powder
- Melt ¾ cup of coconut oil on a low flame
- To this molten oil, add ground oats and a few drops of rosemary oil
- Mix the ingredients well
- Also, add 1 TBSP olive oil to it
- Remove the mixture from the flame
- Pour all of the mixtures in a glass container and let it harden by setting it aside
- Regularly apply this coconut oil based homemade moisturizer on eczema affected areas of your skin
Safety precautions and tips Of Coconut Oil for Eczema
- We always recommend our readers to perform a patch test before using coconut oil as a remedy.
- High consumptions of coconut oil usually lead to high blood pressure and blockage of arteries due to an increase in the level of cholesterol in the body.
- Direct application of the coconut oil is safe for lactating and pregnant women.
- You can use coconut oil in place of your commercial lotions, makeup removers as well as moisturizers.
- Scratching the affected parts of the skin can spread the infection and make it worse.
- Always wear loose and smooth clothes rather than tight ones, as they can worsen the infection when they come in contact and scratch the skin.
- Never use harsh chemical based shampoos and soaps, as they steal the moisture from the skin.
- Don’t wash your hands too often. Similarly, avoid taking long showers as well as dishwashing.
- You can take vitamin D3 supplements to enhance the capabilities of the immune system of the body.
- Stay away from junk and processed food, high carbs, and gluten.
Did we forget to mention an important regarding the use of coconut oil for eczema? Which remedy proved useful for you? Please do share your queries, suggestions, and experiences with us.