How to use Avocado for Dry Skin – TOP 10 Ways
Dry skin, especially when it is too dry, doesn’t make you look beautiful and everyone knows it. Instead, it leads to scaling, flaking, cracking and bleeding which makes the situation even worse. Despite the presence of many artificial ointments and moisturizers, most of the people prefer to go with natural solutions, like avocado for dry skin, because they know medicated solutions are only able to provide short term benefits.
The sebaceous glands are responsible for producing oil in the body. The issue of dry skin usually arises when the oil production by these glands isn’t able to keep up the demand for the normal functioning. The environmental factors leading to this issue are taking hot showers, use of extremely harsh chemical soaps, cold weather, and overuse of cosmetics. Dryness of the skin can also occur because of the dehydration, HBP (High Blood Pressure), dehydration and many other factors.
What Makes Avocado Effective in Dealing with Dry Skin?
- High quantities of vitamin A in avocados ensure sufficient production of oil in the body, thus helping to prevent flaky and dry skin.
- Avocados are a rich source of glutamine, copper and vitamin C, which increase the production of collagen in the dry skin and enhance its elasticity.
- Due to high potassium and vitamin E contents, avocados assist in restoring the moisture content of the skin.
- The presence of lutein, alpha-carotene, and beta-carotene enables the avocados to protect the skin the from aging prematurely.
- Avocado oil promotes the generation of new cells of the skin and improving the blood flow through them.
- The presence of anti-inflammatory components, like zinc, iron, phosphorus, and beta-sitosterol, help in the reduction of dry skin itchiness.
TOP 10 useful Methods of using Avocado for Dry Skin
Avocado is truly an incredible blessing when it comes to treating the dry skin, as one can use it in any form, i.e. avocado for skin mask, oiled form, mashed pulp, avocado peel, etc. But before applying any remedy related to avocado, do remember to wash your skin with lukewarm water and mild strength cleanser. Once dried with a soft cotton towel, it is ready to take on an avocado remedy.
Wear an avocado fruit mask
The pulp of avocado fruit penetrates deeply into the skin and hydrates it from within. Moreover, it nourishes the skin by moisturizing it and providing it with necessary elements.
- Take pulp of a ripe avocado fruit in a pot
- Mash it until there is no lump left and it gets the shape of a fine paste
- Apply this paste on the skin
- massage with it for about 4 to 5 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water after keeping it on for further 15 to 20 minutes
- Repeat this process three times a week
Use avocado oil
Avocado oil contains enormous quantities of essential fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. All of these components act as an excellent natural moisturizer and nourish the dry skin.
- Take some avocado oil in a bowl
- Make a ball of cotton and dip it in the bowl containing the oil
- Gently apply the oil on dry skin
- Leave it there for about 15 to 2 minutes as, during this time, the oil will seep into the skin
- Clean it by washing with lukewarm water
- Use this oil 2 to 3 times every week
Olive oil and avocado for dry skin
Anti-oxidants, abundantly available in olive oil, maintain the balance of moisture in the skin. Furthermore, squalene and many other unsaturated oils present in olive oil improve the skin tone and help in hydrating the skin.
- Mash 1 ripe avocado fruit using a fork in a pot
- Add 1 TBSP olive oil and mix well
- On dry skin, apply a thick layer of this mixture and leave it untouched for 5 minutes
- Wash it with cool water
- For better results, use this mixture three times a week
Brown sugar and avocado oil
Brown sugar is an excellent dry skin exfoliator as it removes the dead skin layer from the skin surface.
- Mix 1 TBSP of brown sugar and 1 TBSP avocado oil in a pot
- Apply this mixture on dry skin and massage using this mixture in circular pattern
- Continue to rub gently for 3 to 4 minutes
- Wash the mixture off using lukewarm water
- Repeat the procedure at least two times a week
Avocado and honey
Honey is a wonderful moisturizer for the skin and possesses excellent penetration abilities. As a result, it penetrates deep into the skin layers and moisturizes it from within. Moreover, the use of honey and avocado face mask for glowing skin helps to retain the moisture in the skin.
- Take half cup of honey along with 1 cup of avocado pulp
- Mix both and apply as a mask on the dry skin
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Wipe it off with a piece of soft cloth and wash it with lukewarm water
- Use this process two times a week
Cucumber and avocado for dry skin
Cucumber is an ideal hydrating agent for the dry skin because of higher water proportions that make up its fleshy pulp. It is a rich source of caffeic acid and vitamin C, which provides the soothing effect to the dry skin.
- Take equal quantities of cucumber and avocado in a blender
- Blend them until the mixture starts looking like a paste
- Using your fingers, apply this paste on the affected areas of your skin
- Keep it untouched for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Use lukewarm water to wash off the paste
- For better results, use this paste at least 2 to 3 times in every week
Banana and Avocado for dry skin
Banana contains large quantities of potassium and vitamin A which moisturize and hydrate the dry skin. Moreover, it makes skin elastic by providing the necessary elements and the beneficial amino acids to the connective tissues.
- Mash 1 ripe banana in a pot
- Also, mash a ripe avocado and mix it with the mashed banana until it gets the shape of creamy and smooth mixture
- Apply with your fingers gently on the affected dry skin surface
- Wash with lukewarm water after keeping it on for about 15 minutes
- Repeat the procedure at least two times every week
Avocado and apricot
Apricot is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent and is a rich source of vitamin A. So, it helps in removal of the dead skin layer and promoting the regeneration of healthy skin cells. So, one can use apricot in combination with avocado for skin whitening and give it a refreshing look.
- Take one ripe apricot and one ripe avocado in a blender
- Until it gains a smooth texture, blend it thoroughly and continuously
- Massage using this mixture in circular pattern
- Leave it on for 25 to 30 minutes and then wash with lukewarm water
- Re-apply this mixture three times every week
Milk, honey, and avocado for dry skin
Milk helps in replenishing and retaining the moisture in the skin layer as it is incredibly rich in fats, proteins and water content. It also contains lactic acid which acts as an exfoliator for dead and dry cells of the skin.
- Take one ripe avocado in blender
- Blend it to a thick paste form
- Add 4 TBSP warm milk and 1 TBSP honey in this blended avocado paste and stir well
- Massage gently using your fingers in circular pattern on the affected dry areas of the skin
- Wash with lukewarm water after leaving it on for more than 20 to 30 minutes
- Repeat this procedure two times a week to get better results
Aloe Vera, olive oil, and avocado
Aloe Vera, belonging to a succulent plant, consists of massive quantities of lectins, mannans, and polysaccharides along with many other useful minerals and vitamins. So, it helps in preventing the flaking and cracking of the dry skin. Furthermore, it is an excellent hydrating agent as water is its primary constituent.
- Take a half ripe avocado and mash it to its pulp form
- Add 1 TBSP of olive oil and 1 TBSP of Aloe Vera gel in it
- Use this mixture as a mask and apply gently on the dry skin
- Keep this mask on for 5 to 10 minutes
- Use lukewarm water to wash it off
- Re-apply this mask at least two times every week
Get Better Results in Less Time with These Safety Precautions and Tips of Avocado for Dry Skin
- Please ensure that you aren’t allergic to any form of avocado before using it directly implementing in any form
- The patients using blood drugs must consult their doctor, as the use of avocado can interfere with their medication. The same goes for lactating and pregnant women.
- Always use a ripe and soft avocado.
- Before applying any avocado application, keep it in refrigerator to enhance its soothing and cooling effects on the dry skin
- While using avocado mask, wear old clothes as it leaves persistent bright green stains which are extremely difficult to remove
- Try adding a humidifier to your surroundings as they help in preventing and soothing the dry skin symptoms by adding extra moisture to the surrounding air
- Remember to drink a lot of water
- Consult a dermatologist, if the dryness gets worse after the use of avocado mask
If you have any suggestions or queries about the use of avocado for dry skin or any remedies related to it, please write to us and let us know your thoughts about which solution worked the best for you.