Top 9 Effective Home Remedies using Apple Cider Vinegar for Sunburn
Experts recommend occasional exposure of the body to the sun, as it prevents the deficiency of vitamin D, but too much exposure can lead you to use apple cider vinegar for sunburn. Everyone loves a full day at the beach during summers, but even if you have covered yourself with a lot of sunscreens, the UV rays can make their way through, and your skin may get sunburnt.
Sunburn happens when the UV rays of the sun damage the skin tissues and cells, as the result of which body enhances the production of melamine to avoid further damage. The burning sensation, peeling, itching, and redness occurs when the body tries to repair the skin cells damaged by the rays. In most cases, the sunburn can be dealt with using natural ingredients using tea or milk for sunburn or even apple cider vinegar, without any side effect. However, in this article, we are going to focus the apple cider vinegar based remedies only.
Is apple cider vinegar good for sunburn?
- According to the vinegar sunburn science, the malic acid present in apple cider vinegar helps in speeding up the healing process of the skin by stimulating the circulation of blood through it.
- Thanks to the enormous quantities of acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar, it acts as a potent anti-inflammatory agent to relieve your skin of the pain, redness, and swelling.
- Apple cider vinegar assists in minimization of peeling and blistering by maintaining the skin’s natural pH levels.
- Being powerful anti-microbial, anti-fungal and antiseptic compound in nature, it helps in the prevention of skin tissue infections.
- Apple cider vinegar, being a rich source of minerals and vitamins, replenishes the moisture and nutrients of the skin and makes it heal faster.
Best 9 Methods of using apple cider vinegar for sunburn
If you are looking for a way to “how to make a sunburn go away overnight” or to learn about “what is the fastest way to get rid of sunburn”, then you are at right place. The diluted apple cider vinegar is extremely useful in treating sunburn, as you can employ it in some ways to boost the healing process of the sunburnt skin. The most effective of these methods are given below to help you get out of the situation.
Apple cider vinegar for sunburn
Using diluted apple cider vinegar on the skin, directly, is the most straightforward method of relieving yourself of the painful symptoms of sunburns.
For direct application:
- Take some apple cider vinegar in a bowl and add equal amount of water to dilute it
- In it, dip a soft cotton towel or a cotton ball
- Gently dab with this soaked and wrung towel, or cotton ball, on the affected areas of the skin
- Repeat this process multiple times a day
Using as a spray:
- Take a medium-sized spray bottle
- Mix equal quantities of water and apple cider vinegar in it
- Shake well and spray on the skin
Note regarding the direct application of apple cider vinegar for sunburn: In case of unpleasant smell, have a shower with cold water after an hour.
Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar for sunburn
Honey, being a potent natural anti-inflammatory agent, reduces te the swelling and soothes the skin. It contains a large number of beneficial proteins and enzymes which promote the healing process of the body.
- In 2 TBSP of honey in a bowl, add and mix 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar
- Apply this mixture on the sunburnt areas of your skin
- Let it stay there until it dries up completely
- Use fresh water to wash off the mixture gently
- Repeat this procedure at least once daily
Coconut Oil and Apple cider vinegar for sunburn
Thanks to the presence of several beneficial fatty acids like lauric and capric acids, coconut oil is an excellent microbial agent. The saturated fats present in the coconut oil assist in the retention of moisture in the skin, thus leading to a better and faster healing process. Moreover, the vitamin E helps in repairing the damaged skin tissues.
- Dilute a small quantity of apple cider vinegar
- Dip a little piece of washcloth in it
- Dab this washcloth on the affected areas of the skin
- Let it stay there for about 3 minutes to air dry it
- Apply some coconut oil over this area in the circular motions of fingers
- Leave the application overnight and wash it off using lukewarm water in the morning
- For best results, repeat this process once every day
Note: You can also add a drop of peppermint essential oil along with two drops of lavender oil to the coconut oil and apple cider vinegar for sunburn.
Olive Oil and Apple cider vinegar for sunburn
Olive oil is a rich source of polyphenol compounds that work as potent antioxidants to heal the damaged and burnt tissues of the skin.
- Take equal quantities of olive oil and apple cider vinegar in a bowl
- Mix all of the ingredients well
- Apply this mixture on the sunburnt areas of the skin
- Keep it there for about 15 minutes
- Gently wash off the application with fresh water
- Repeat this procedure once daily
Herbs and Apple cider vinegar for sunburn
The anti-oxidants present in the mint act as a natural cooling and soothing agent for sunburnt skin. They help in healing and repairing the inflamed and burned skin. Plantain, on the other hand, is anti-toxic, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. It relieves the patient of the itching, burning sensation and the pain associated with the sunburn. Just like plantain, lavender is also a powerful antiseptic and anti-microbial and prevents further infections to boost the healing process of the sunburnt skin.
- Add 2 TBSP of any herb in a cup of water
- Boil the water and let the mixture to cool down to room temperature after removing it from the flame
- Use a strainer to remove the herbs from the liquid
- Add equal volume of the apple cider vinegar to this solution
- Stir well until you get a thorough mixture
- Pour this mixture into medium-sized spray bottle
- Spray this solution on the skin at least 3 to 4 times a day
Baking Soda and Apple cider vinegar for sunburn
The alkaline and antiseptic nature of baking soda soothe the affected skin. It assists in healing and repairing the damaged skin and relieves the person of the inflammation and itching sensation. As an alternative, you can also put cornstarch to use this remedy.
- Take 1 TBSP of baking soda, 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar and four drops of any essential oil in a bowl
- Mix the ingredients and apply on the sunburnt areas of the skin
- Let it air dry for about 10 minutes
- Use fresh water to wash off the application
- Repeat the procedure every day
Note: Essential oils that you can use in this method include tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and lavender oil.
Oats and Apple cider vinegar for sunburn
- Oats have a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect on the sunburnt skin. It soothes the swollen, itchy and irritated skin.
- In a tub or a bucket, add a cup of oats, a cup or two of the apple cider vinegar and half cup of baking soda
- Soak your affected areas of the skin for 30 minutes
- Repeat this procedure once every day
Potato Juice and Apple cider vinegar for sunburn
Starch, being the primary content of potatoes, provide a cooling effect on the skin. It also assists in keeping the skin hydrated.
- Max 1 TBSP of potato juice with a TBSP baking soda and a teaspoon of the diluted apple cider vinegar in a bowl or cup
- Mix the ingredients well and apply on the skin
- Keep it there for 15 minutes
- Once the application dries up, wash it off using fresh water
- Repeat this process at least once every day
Aloe Vera Gel and Apple cider vinegar for sunburn
The vitamin E oil present in Aloe Vera gel has a neutralizing effect over the free radicals, which increases the speed of healing process of the skin. Aloe Vera is a rich source of glycoproteins, an anti-inflammatory protein that reduces the swelling of the sunburnt areas of the skin. The lidocaine in Aloe Vera relieves the person of the pain and irritation, caused by the sunburn. The gibberellin and auxins hormones present in Aloe Vera form a hydration layer over the skin.
- Add 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar, 1 TBSP lavender oil, half cup of Aloe Vera gel and the oil from 2 vitamin E tablets in a bowl
- Thorough mix all of the ingredients
- Gently apply the mixture on the sunburnt areas of the skin
- Leave the application for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Use fresh water to remove the mixture from the skin
- Repeat the method once every day
Safety Precautions and tips for using apple cider vinegar for sunburn
- Ensure that you aren’t allergic to apple cider vinegar by carrying out a small patch test on the inner arm.
- Always ensure that it is diluted with water in the ratio of 1:1, as the natural apple cider vinegar, can cause burning sensation.
- Prefer unpasteurized and raw wood-aged apple cider vinegar rather than the one which is chemically-aged.
- Instead of spraying the vinegar on the face, use a cotton ball.
- Keep the apple cider vinegar out of the children’s reach.
- Rubbing the sunburnt skin after washing the application can cause the irritation and inflammation to increase. Instead, dab it using a soft towel of cotton.
- Avoid using vinegar on open wounds.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking at least eight glasses of water per day.
- Consult a doctor in case of excessive sunburn or blisters that aren’t healing.
- Avoid too much exposure to the sun.
If you think that we forgot to mention a great remedy using apple cider vinegar for sunburn, which helped you get out of the situation in less time, then please do tell us. And don’t forget to share your queries and experiences with us.