How to Treat Boils Quickly using Top 10 DIY Home Remedies
Skin abscess or boils are usually caused by a bacterial infection that affects the hair follicles; however, there can be other reasons, too. The condition initiates in the form of a small node and grows into a pus-filled painful lump. And that’s where it becomes necessary to learn how to treat boils, either with medications or using home remedies.
Sweat, improper hygiene, friction, alcoholism, eczema, acne, and diabetes are some of the reasons that can lead to the development of boils. In case if your boils come with swelling, chest pain, fever, rashes, or change in appetite, then it is better to consult a doctor.
What are the main causes a boil?
Just as we mentioned above, the primary reason that can lead to the formation of boils is the infection caused by a bacteria known by the name of “Staphylococcus.” This bacteria, when it enters the body through tiny skin breaks and reaches the hair follicles, develops into an abscess and take the shape of boils.
How to treat boils with home remedies?
Experts often recommend going with home remedies, rather than over-the-counter medications, because they are safe and can be performed using simple kitchen ingredients. So you can try any of the methods to get rid of the boils, as per your preference.
Use Ginger to treat boils
The combination of turmeric and ginger draws the pus out of the boil. Moreover, the active antibacterial capabilities of the mixture eliminate the bacteria.
- Take equal quantities of fresh ginger and turmeric paste and combine them
- Use this paste to cover the boil and the surrounding areas of the skin
- Use a bandage or a cloth to cover the application
- Let the application stay there for a few hours
- Remove the mixture using lukewarm water after removing the dressing
- Regularly repeat this procedure
Note: If you are not a big fan of the ginger taste, then you can put basil paste or yogurt, to use.
Use Onion to treat boils
According to several studies, onions contain at least 25 active components including oils, flavonoids, and potassium salt; and it possesses excellent antiseptic, analgesic, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. Onions disinfect the wounds, eliminate the toxins present in the body, and relieve the inflammation in the skin. This is particularly true for red onions, as they draw out the pus from boils, and assist in the circulation of the blood.
- Take a fresh onion and cut it into slices
- Place the slices on the affected areas on the skin
- Cover the application with cloth or bandage
- After every four hours, change this poultice with a fresh one
- Repeat this procedure every day
An alternative method of how to treat boils using Onion:
- Take a raw onion and cut it into slices
- Put these slices in a pot containing water
- Place this bowl on flame and let it boil until half of the water is remaining
- Remove the liquid from the mixture
- Rinse the boils with this liquid
How to treat boils using turmeric
The anti-inflammatory properties of the volatile oil, present in turmeric, are incredibly useful in dealing with boils. Furthermore, the antiseptic capabilities stop the bacteria from spreading to other parts of the body.
- Mix turmeric powder in the small amount of water to get a fine paste.
- Apply the mixture and cover it with gauze or bandage
- Keep it there for about 45 minutes
- Use fresh water to wash it off
- Pat your skin dry
- Repeat this procedure twice every day
For added benefits: Add a TBSP of turmeric in a glass of milk, and drink it thrice a day for five days.
How to treat boils using Epsom Salt
Magnesium Sulfate, commonly known by the name of Epsom Salt, acts as a drying agent. Thus it draws the toxins out by bringing boils to a head. It also helps in the reduction of pain and swelling.
- Add a TBSP of Epsom salt to three cups of fresh water
- Mix the ingredients well
- Take a piece of clean washcloth and soak it in water
- Remove the excess water from it
- Place the cloth on the affected areas of the skin and let it stay there for about ten minutes
- To get quick relief, repeat the process thrice every day
How to treat boils using Garlic
Thanks to the enormous quantities of sulfur-based components, including ajoene, allicin, and alliin, garlic works efficiently in treating boils. Its anti-viral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties make it one of the best antibiotics for boils.
- Take a fresh clove of garlic, and heat it
- Place it on the boil
- Place a bandage or gauze on the application
- Let it stay there for about 15 minutes
- Wash it using warm water after removing the dressing
For added benefits: The regular consumption of garlic helps in treating boils from inside.
How to treat boils using Potato
The magnesium and potassium present in potatoes possess anti-inflammatory properties, relieve the patient of the pain. They also bring the abscess to heat in less time.
- Extract the juice of a fresh potato
- Let it dry while it is placed on the boil
- Repeat this procedure four times every day
How to treat boils using Mustard Poultice
When it comes to dealing with boils on the inner thigh, then there is nothing better than the mustard poultice. It improves the circulation of the blood throughout the body and dries up the boils.
- Take fresh seeds of mustard
- Blend these seeds into the form of powder
- Mix this powder with olive oil or coconut oil to form a paste
- On the boil, place a piece of cloth and apply the mixture to it
- Use a gauze to secure the application
- Remove the application after leaving it on for about 20 minutes
- Pat dry your skin
Note: The direct application of mustard paste can burn the skin.
How to treat boils using Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV (apple cider vinegar) is a fantastic disinfectant and an excellent boil home remedy. Once the boil begins to drain, it cleanses the bacteria. It also balances the pH level of the skin to speed up the healing process.
- Using a cotton ball, apply a few drops of diluted apple cider vinegar on the boils affected areas of the skin
- Leave it there and let it dry completely
- For better results, repeat this procedure every day
How to treat boils using Milk
Milk gives quick relief from the pain, caused by boils, by drawing the pus out of them. It also boosts the healing process.
- Mix a TBSP each of vinegar, turmeric powder, and milk in a bowl
- Use the resulting paste as an application for the boils
- Keep it there until it dries completely
- Pat your skin dry after rinsing it with water
How to treat boils using cornmeal?
Being a natural absorptive, the cornmeal is a perfect remedy for anyone who is looking for the methods of “how to treat boils.” For the treatment, follow this procedure:
- Take some fresh water in a pan
- Place this pan on flame
- Bring the water to boil and add some cornmeal to make a smooth paste
- Cover the area with a small piece of washcloth after applying the mixture on the boils
- Let it stay there for about 15 to 20 minutes
- For achieving better results, repeat the whole procedure twice or thrice every day
Are boils contagious?
Even though the boils are not contagious, but they can spread to another person due to the spread of bacteria. In other words, the bacteria spread to other parts of the body or to other people due to sharing of items or skin-to-skin contact and can result in the formation of boils.
Now that you know how to treat boils using home remedies, you should better start implementing them. And don’t forget to share your queries, suggestions, and experiences with us.