TOP 10 DIY Home Remedies of Cinnamon for bad breath – Best 10 Tips
Halitosis, commonly known as bad breath, occurs from poor oral hygiene, eating odor-producing foods and unhealthy lifestyles, but can be treated with cinnamon for bad breath. Despite the presence of hundreds of commercial mouthwashes in the market, experts recommend using cinnamon, as these mouthwashes do more bad than good and don’t come without any side effects.
Home remedies like apple cider vinegar, lemon and cinnamon are the best answer to anyone who is looking for a method of “how to get rid of bad breath naturally and fast”, as these remedies are beneficial and help in keeping your mouth refreshed.
What makes cinnamon for bad breath effective in dealing with bad breath?
- The refreshing aroma of cinnamon masks the lousy breath and replaces it with its fragrant smell.
- Cinnamic Aldehyde, an essential oil present in cinnamon, possesses potent anti-bacterial properties which destroy the odor-causing bacteria.
Best 10 Methods of using cinnamon for bad breath
There are a lot of ways to use cinnamon for getting rid of bad breath, as we have mentioned them below. You can use any of the recommended remedies depending on your preferences and the availability of the ingredients.
Cinnamon Tea for Bad Breath
- Take some water in a pot (about one cup will do, as you have to prepare tea)
- Bring this liquid to boil
- Add a few cinnamon sticks or a TBSP of cinnamon powder to this boiling water
- Remove from the flame and cover the cup
- Let the mixture steep for about 10 minutes
- Drink the liquid while it is still warm after straining it from the mix
- Drink three cups of this tea in a daily manner
- You can also use this tea for mouthwash purposes for twice a day (in the morning and at night).
Note: For getting a refreshing flavor, you can add a few crushed cardamom and bay leaves to the tea.
Cinnamon oil for Bad Breath
- To a glass of water, add ten drops of cinnamon oil
- Thoroughly rinse your mouth using this water
- Spit the water out
- Repeat this procedure two times every day to get rid of bad breath
Note: regarding the use cinnamon oil for bad breath: Never swallow this mouthwash as consuming the cinnamon oil is not recommended.
Ginger tea and Cinnamon for Bad Breath
The fresh ginger cuts possess an active constituent, Gingerol, which destroys the bacteria that’s causing the bad breath.
- Take some water in a pot and boil it
- To this boiling water, add three sticks of cinnamon to it
- Also add a few fresh slices from ginger as well
- Let the mixture simmer down for about five minutes
- Now, cover the cup and let it stay there for another 10 minutes’ duration
- Drink the liquid while it is still warm by straining the liquid from the mixture
- Repeat this process at least twice a day
Lemon Rinse and Cinnamon for Bad Breath
The refreshing and powerful aroma of citrus present in lemons assists in freshening up the breath. Whereas, the powerful acidic nature stops the growth and nourishment of bacteria, present in the mouth.
- To a cup of water, add a TBSP of cinnamon powder and juice of a fresh lemon
- Mix well all of the ingredients by stirring it with the help of a spoon
- Rinse your mouth using this water at least two times every day
Note: For added benefits and effectiveness, add a pinch of salt to this mixture of lemon and cinnamon for bad breath treatment.
Honey Mix and Cinnamon for Bad Breath
Methylglyoxal, a potent antimicrobial compound present in honey, assists in treating the bad breath by removing the anaerobic microbes and odor-causing bacteria living in the mouth.
- Take 2 TBSP of honey in a bowl
- To the honey, add a TBSP of cinnamon in it
- Mix the ingredients well, until you get a consistent mixture
- Take out a TBSP of this mixture and eat it
- To freshen your breath, repeat this procedure three times in a regular manner
Note: For this remedy, you can use Manuka Honey rather than regular honey.
Clove and Cinnamon Tea for Bad Breath
The powerful anti-bacterial capabilities of cloves eliminate the bacterial colonies, present in the mouth which live in the acidic environments and lead to the bad breath.
- Take a cup of water in a bowl
- Boil this water and add a TBSP of freshly ground clove in it
- Also, add a TBSP of fresh cinnamon (in the ground form)
- Strain the tea after simmering the water down for about 10 minutes
- Drink the tea slowly
- Drink this clove and cinnamon tea twice a day
Fennel Drink and Cinnamon for Bad Breath
Thanks to the strong, refreshing aroma of fennel, you can use it as an excellent freshener for your mouth to get rid of bad breath. Furthermore, the antimicrobial properties of fennel assist in fighting off the bacteria.
- To a glass of water, add three cinnamon sticks and a TBSP of fennel
- Let the mixture steep for the whole night
- In the morning, separate the liquid from the mixture by straining it
- Drink the juice
- Repeat this procedure at least once every day
Parsley drink and Cinnamon for Bad Breath
Parsley contains chlorophyll which helps in fighting against the bad breath. It detoxifies the liver, cleanses the body, fights off the infection and improves the functioning of digestive system.
- Take a few chopped leaves of fresh parsley in a juice
- Juice these leaves and a TBSP of cinnamon (in ground form) to it
- Mix both of the ingredients well
- Drink this juice
- Repeat this procedure twice every day
Apple cider vinegar mouth rinse and Cinnamon for Bad Breath
According to research, the bacteria that causes the bad breath requires a particular type of environment to survive. This homemade mouthwash recipe of apple cider vinegar and cinnamon works like a perfect scope cinnamon mouthwash and balances the pH level to render the habitat unsuitable for the bacteria.
- To a glass of water, add and mix a TBSP of apple cider vinegar and a TBSP of ground cinnamon
- Rinse your mouth with this mixture
- Use this homemade mouthwash apple cider vinegar and cinnamon after every meal to get rid of the bad breath problems
Note regarding the apple cider vinegar and cinnamon for bad breath: Prefer using unfiltered, raw organic apple cider vinegar to achieve the best results in less time.
Baking Soda Paste and Cinnamon for Bad Breath
Thanks to the alkalinity of baking soda, it restores the pH of the mouth and kills the bacteria by changing the environment and turning it unsuitable for the bacteria.
- Add a TBSP of ground cinnamon and a TBSP of baking soda in a bowl
- To this bowl, add some water
- Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients until you get a fine paste
- Use this paste to brush your teeth
- Repeat this procedure two times a day
Safety Precautions and tips for using cinnamon for bad breath
- Before using any of the cinnamon based remedies mentioned above, make sure that you aren’t allergic to it in any form. For the purpose, perform a small patch test.
- If you are allergic to cinnamon, then you may experience itchy eyes, running nose, shortness of breath, hives, upset stomach, insomnia and slightly swollen lips, tongue, and throat.
- The blood-thinning effects of cinnamon may interfere with the prescribed anticoagulants and blood thinners.
- In case of breastfeeding and pregnant women, it is unsafe to consume cinnamon in large amounts, as the high level can induce toxicity.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- Use a tongue scraper to keep your tongue clean and remove the dead cells, fungi, and bacteria.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water, throughout the day. You may also wash to swish the water around in your mouth to counter the dryness of the palate.
- Do give your dentist a visit for periodic checkup and cleaning.
- Add vegetables and fruits to your diets, such as carrots, celery, apples, and berries to keep your teeth clean.
- If you are suffering from persistent bad breath, then there can be any other underlying reason behind this issue, including yeast infection, gum disease, chronic acid reflux as well as diabetes. So, we recommend you to consult your doctor to under the real problem.
With these remedies, you won’t ever have to google “how to quickly get rid of bad breath” If you think that we forgot to mention a great remedy using cinnamon for bad breath, then do tell us. Also, don’t hesitate to share your queries and suggestions with us.