12 Most Effective Home Remedies for Arthritis to Get Rid of Joint Pain
There is no easy way to define the term “arthritis” as it is a broad term and involves more than 100 situations leading to joint pain. One can say that it is an inflammatory or degenerative disease caused by different reasons and usually affects knees, hands, arms and hip joints. Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure for dealing with arthritis, but one can make use of several home remedies for arthritis.
The arthritis patient feels stiffness and pain in joints and observes a reduced capability of using the bones. It can usually affect any joint in the body, along with the above mentioned common targets of arthritis. The factors that most likely lead to arthritis are aging, joint trauma, hereditary, infection, excessive use of a joint, deposition of metal crystals in joints and obesity. In the case of initial and ineffective forms of arthritis, you can get rid of it using medications but other than that it is incurable
TOP 12 Most Effective and Beneficial Home Remedies for Arthritis
In case if you have arthritis, then don’t worry as we have listed some of the best and most effective natural home remedies for arthritis and dealing with the associated pain and discomfort.
Turmeric home remedy for arthritis
Turmeric is a rich source curcumin, which possesses remarkable anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in relieving the pain and reducing the swelling caused by arthritis.
- Add 1 TBSP turmeric in a glass of warm milk
- Mix it well
- Drink it at night time before going to sleep to gain control over the pain
Ginger improves the circulation of blood throughout the body, acts as an anti-inflammatory compound and helps in removal of dangerous inflammation causing chemicals.
- Take half TBSP ginger powder at least once in a day
- Or eat a piece of fresh raw ginger every day
- You can also add ginger in your cooking or apply its oil
Apple cider vinegar home remedy for arthritis
Apple cider vinegar, being incredibly rich in phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and calcium, is extremely useful in dealing with joints pain.
- Add 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water
- Also, add honey to it and mix them well
- Drink this mixture every day in the morning to remove toxins from connective tissues and joints
Cinnamon relieves the patient of the symptoms and pain of arthritis affected joints.
- Take a cup of warm water
- To this water, add half TBSP cinnamon powder and one TBSP honey
- Mix it well and regularly drink on empty stomach
Green tea home remedy for arthritis
Quercetin, being a potent antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory product, is present in green tea and is one of the best home remedies for rheumatoid arthritis. According to a study, those people who regularly drank 3 or more cups of green tea are 60% less likely to fall victim to rheumatoid arthritis. So, as a remedy, drink it at regular intervals regularly.
Alfalfa assists in regulating the pH level of the body and contain minerals that are helpful in treating arthritis. To make alfalfa tea, follow this procedure:
- Take some water in a cup (enough to make tea)
- Boil the water and add a few seeds of alfalfa in it
- Stir it well
- Let it steep for a few minutes
- Strain the tea from the mixture
- Drink this tea every day for 2 to 3 weeks
Capsaicin, being one of the primary components of black pepper, provides knee joint pain relief and assists in diverting the brain to focus on any other thing than the pain itself. You can use it in the form any supplement, as a powder in the form of paste and rub it on arthritis affected joints. Initially, it will irritate the endings of your nerves, but you will soon be relieved of your pain.
Cherries, being rich in magnesium and potassium, are an excellent paint killer and diuretic. They help in the reduction of inflammation and are an efficient arthritis knee treatment. It doesn’t matter in which form do you take cherries, whether you use canned cherries, fresh cherries or frozen ones, even a cherry syrup, all you have to do is to use it to get rid of the situation.
Grape juice and pectin home remedy for arthritis
Plant cells walls consist of a carbohydrate substance, which helps in keeping the cells the cells compacted. Jam and jellies contain enormous quantities of pectin and can be used as a combination with grape juice. This combination keeps the synovial lining of the joints intact and relieves the patient of arthritis symptoms. The synovial lining of the joints is responsible for the production of the “lubricant” present between the bones and thus, helps in the smooth movement of the bones over each other without any pain or friction. So, to get relief, mix both of the substances and drink.
Epsom Salt home remedy for arthritis
Magnesium sulfate, the primary component of Epsom salt, is a crucial source of magnesium for our body and magnesium, in turn, is useful in dealing with bone and muscles related issues. It eases the pain by relaxing the nerves and muscles, strengthens the bones and treats arthritis. Moreover, magnesium assists in regulating the pH in tissues and making them less acidic, as most of the joint inflammatory diseases thrive in the environments that are acidic.
For intake of magnesium, you can use magnesium capsules, include nuts, leafy vegetables, and legumes to your diet. You can also apply magnesium oil on arthritis affected areas of your body for getting relief from the pain.
Dandelion leaves are full of vitamin A and vitamin C, which help in removal of damaging chemicals in the tissues. As these vitamins are powerful antioxidants, they can reduce free radicals also. The linoleic acid present in the dandelion leaves suppresses inflammation and reduces pain. You can use them in the form of tea or consume as the salad.
Omega-3 fatty acids
Consumption of omega-3 fatty acids helps the body in the removal of pro-inflammatory chemicals and inhibiting them from popping out somewhere else on your body. These acids are primarily present in sardines, mackerel, and nuts. Furthermore, you can also ensure its intake by using omega-3 fatty acids supplements.
Tips and safety precautions of Getting Relief from Join Pains With These Home Remedies for Arthritis
- If you want to keep your joints functioning for a longer period, then keep them moving as much as possible.
- Exercise regularly as it helps in getting rid of the issue. Try any hand exercise in a warm water filled a bowl to get comfort from arthritis. Always ensure that you are not overdoing it otherwise, it will just worsen your pain.
- Never overuse pain killers and counter creams as these medications provide relief temporarily but in the long run, they are more dangerous to your joints than the disease itself.
- Use a pair of stretch gloves for your hands as it helps in reducing the swelling of the fingers. You can also put a scarf on your knee joint or elbow but don’t tie it too tightly.
- Use a down blanket or an electrical blanket to get relief from discomfort and pain.
- Keep changing your positions and postures after some time, as holding a position and staying in a single posture for longer periods of time will cause discomfort and stiffness in your limbs.
- Try using eucalyptus oil on the skin where the painful joints are. But it is better to consult your doctor, as the utilization of this oil can cause a reaction with your skin.
- Take fish oil supplements or consume the oil itself on an empty stomach in the morning to get rid of arthritis. Keep a sharp eye on your arthritis treatment diet
- It is better to transfer some of your body load to an assistive device, like cane, braces or a walking frame as well as proper footwear, particularly in case if you are suffering from knee or hip arthritis.
If you have got any suggestions or questions regarding any of the home remedies for arthritis mentioned above, then we welcome you aboard. Also, share your experiences with us.