TOP 10 Most Effective Home Remedies For Acid Reflux
According to a study at US National Library of Medicine, more than 20% people in the world experience acid reflux at least once every week. The primary reason, behind this huge percentage of heartburn cases, is the usage of antacids themselves, which do worse than they do well. That is precisely why most of the people prefer home remedies for acid reflux than going for chemical medications.
There are many methods for treating the acid reflux and eliminating the root caused behind it. We have mentioned some of those methods below so that you can choose any acid reflux treatment home remedies depending upon preference and the availability of the ingredients.
Apple cider vinegar for acid reflex
As a rich source of malic acid, apple cider vinegar is helps in balancing the acid levels in the stomach and improving the digestion of the ingested food. It’s remarkable antimicrobial properties enable it to prevent the overgrowth of harmful bacteria. Moreover, it contains beneficial bacteria which help in the digestion of food thus keeping our body healthy.
- Take a glass of water
- Add 1 to 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar to it
- Mix the ingredients well and drink it
- Add a few drops of lemon juice or some honey in it to improve the taste
- Repeat this procedure before every meal.
Slippery elm home remedy for acid reflux
Mucilage, a carbohydrate present in slippery elm, coats the mucous membrane by making a smooth gel after mixing with water. It also coats the lining of the stomach as well as neutralizes the stomach acids.
- Take a glass of fresh water
- In it, add 1 to 2 TBSP slippery elm root bark powder
- Stir well and drink before going to sleep in night
- You can also add some honey in it to improve its taste
Baking soda home remedy for acid reflux
Baking soda is a natural antacid and helps to relieve the patient from acid reflux by neutralizing the stomach acid.
- In a glass containing some water, add 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix both the ingredients well
- Drink the solution
- Repeat the process every day while keeping the daily dosage of baking soda below 3 and a half teaspoons.
Aloe Vera gel is extremely effective in treating the symptoms of acid reflux without producing any side effects. Research has proved that it is quite efficient in balancing the production of acid in the body, reducing the discomforts and swelling caused by acid refluxes.
- Prepare a half cup of Aloe Vera juice at room temperature
- Drink this juice regularly, particularly after the meals
Chamomile possesses soothing and anti-inflammatory properties and assists in acid balancing in the body. Furthermore, it reduces the stress level.
- Boil a cup of water in a pot
- Decrease the flame
- To this boiling water, add 1 TBSP chamomile dried petals
- Let it simmer for another 45 minutes
- Now remove from the fire and let it there for a few minutes
- Strain the tea from the mixture
- Add some honey or lemon juice to give it some taste
- Drink this chamomile tea at least 1 hour before you sleep
- For better results, drink this tea regularly
Just like chamomile, ginger also helps in the reduction of irritation and swelling of the mucous membranes. It pushes the food towards the colon by speeding up the digestive process. Moreover, it strengthens the esophagus tract which makes it one of the most effective home remedies for acid reflux.
- Take three sliced pieces of ginger root
- Add them to pot along with a cup of water
- Boil this water for about 30 minutes
- Remove the ginger pieces
- Strain the tea and drink 20 minutes before your meal
Licorice root home remedy for acid reflux
Thanks to the incredible stomach healing capabilities of licorice root, its helps in the treatment of GERD (a chronic type of acid reflux). It protects the esophageal lining, reduces the gastric spasms and soothes the mucous membrane.
- Take a cup of water
- To this water, add 1 and a half TBSP licorice root
- Boil this mixture for a few minutes
- Strain the liquid after removing from the flame
- Drink this tea when it cools down a little
- For better results, drink this tea at least 15 to 20 minutes before eating meal
- Repeat this procedure 2 to 3 times every day
Fennel is a rich source of anethole which improves the digestive system, calms the digestive spasms and reduces the irritation and irritation resulting from acid reflux.
- Boil a cup of water
- Add 1 TBSP fennel seeds in the boiling water and let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Let it steep after removing from the flame
- Strain the liquid and drink it
- For better results, drink this tea like liquid for 2 to 3 times every day
Just like slippery elm, marshmallow contains massive quantities of mucilage, which soothes the acid reflux discomforts as well as protects the lining of stomach and esophagus.
- To a quart of water, add two TSP dried root of marshmallow
- Leave it for a whole night after covering it
- Separate the liquid from the mixture in the morning
- Drink this juice a few times every day
Cumin reducing the stomach acidity problems and stimulates the digestive system.
- Take a cup of water in a cup
- Add 1 TBSP cumin seeds in it
- Boil this mixture for some time
- Remove from the flame and cover it
- Keep it there for a few minutes
- Drink the tea after straining it while it is still warm
- Drink this tea after meals
- Repeat this procedure until you feel relieved of the acid reflux issues
Safety precautions and tips for getting the best results using These Home Remedies for Acid Reflux to Get Instant Relief from Heartburn
- Always keep a bubble gum with you and chew it, whenever you feel acid reflux, as chewing gum helps in relieving the heartburn and neutralizes the acid by the stimulating the saliva production.
- Use sea salt rather than table salt or use HCL supplements for dealing with acid reflux
- As tight-fitting clothes usually put an enormous strain on abdomen and stomach areas, this often causes the stomach content to be pushed back into the esophagus, thus leading to acid reflux and heartburn. So, it is better to avoid wearing clothes that are too tight particularly around the abdomen areas.
- Acid spillage can also be a result of the gas produced by improperly digested carbohydrate foods, which is exactly why experts recommend adopting a low-carb diet.
- Increased consumption of consumption can weaken the esophagus, particularly the lower esophageal sphincter.
- Keep your head elevated during sleeping, as the gravity will pull acid out of stomach to the throat and will lead to heartburn.
- Keep yourself off the sleeping bed for at least 3 hours after eating.
- Avoid sleeping on your right side as it heightens the stomach than the esophagus.
- Avoid lifting’s weights for at least 1 hour after eating.
- Anxiety and stress lead to an imbalance of hormones in the body.
- In case if you are looking for home remedies for heartburn during pregnancy, then consuming herbal teas, slightly high head and smaller meals can help.
Which of these home remedies for acid reflux did you use? If you have any other solution in your mind which can work better than the ones mentioned above, please do share your suggestions with us.